National Saving

Options
I have two index linked bonds maturing in April and May. One is a Three year bond the other a Five year bond that was reinvested 5 years ago.
What is the general view in relation to index linked bonds should I reinvest for another 3 or 5 years, or should I cash in the bonds and try to find a ISA/Fixed bond paying two and a half percent for the next 5 years.

Comments

• LXdaddy
    LXdaddy Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have two index linked bonds maturing in April and May. One is a Three year bond the other a Five year bond that was reinvested 5 years ago.
    What is the general view in relation to index linked bonds should I reinvest for another 3 or 5 years, or should I cash in the bonds and try to find a ISA/Fixed bond paying two and a half percent for the next 5 years.
    Good luck trying to find an ISA/Fixed rate bond paying 2.5% for 5 years.

I have quite a few index linked bonds in NS&I. Contrary to all my posts about using the interest paying current accounts and regular savings accounts I let my NS&I accounts rollover (but I do change my 5 year ones to 3 years) I imagine that their interest rate premium will rise eventually and I do have the comfort of knowing that this chunk of money is index linked at RPI so is certainly not losing value.
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    LXdaddy wrote: »
    Good luck trying to find an ISA/Fixed rate bond paying 2.5% for 5 years.

I have quite a few index linked bonds in NS&I. Contrary to all my posts about using the interest paying current accounts and regular savings accounts I let my NS&I accounts rollover (but I do change my 5 year ones to 3 years) I imagine that their interest rate premium will rise eventually and I do have the comfort of knowing that this chunk of money is index linked at RPI so is certainly not losing value.

LXDaddy..thank you, as you say trying to find 2.5 is getting harder, can get 2.8 with first direct but out of a ISA, As you say leaving it with NI at least I am not losing value on the money..thanks for your reply
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck trying to find an ISA/Fixed rate bond paying 2.5%

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1621507/Best-savings-rates-Fixed-rate-accounts.html

See 5 year rates above.
  • chris_cox_2
    Options
    My parents have a bond (£20k) that matures very soon. I have a choice to reinvest for 3 years at 2.2% (originally 4%). Is this my best option for this money?
  • ivormonee
    ivormonee Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know if I'd be happy to re-invest for three years at such a miserly rate. Why not consider re-investing in a one year bond and see if rates go up during 2018 (which they are expected to) and then re-invest for a longer term on a better rate in a year's time? I just checked and you can get 1.9% for one year which isn't that far off the 2.2% for three years that you mentioned. Of course, there's no guarantee where rates might be in a year's time so it's just about weighing up all options.
  • chris_cox_2
    Options
    Thanks - a very valid point. Appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills