would you report this?

Options
Hiya,

I had a bit of a scary incident yesterday in the park. firstly I should clarify I am very much a dog person- I have a lab cross and my Oh had a rottie when we met so please don't think I have anything against dogs, or big dogs.

About 5pm yesterday I left my dog at home and took my grumpy baby for a walk in his pram. We went to the local country park. I came across what looked like a youngish gsd emerging from another path right in front of me. I stopped because it's body language didn't look very comfortable. I could hear someone calling, presumably to the dog. It raised it's hackles, bared it's teeth and ran at me barking.

I flung my pram round so I was between the dog and my baby, and in doing so put my back to the dog, and bellowed.

I am not sure what happened because a second later a man appeared from the same path and grabbed the dog, put it's lead on and shouted at it (poor dog).

I can't tell you how scared I was. I think normally I would be less nervous of things like that, but I am still adjusting to motherhood and honestly I am probably a bit emotional right now generally.

When I got home I was in a bit of a state and Oh asked me if I wanted to report it. Thing is, I haven't a clue who the man was, I am a regular user of the park and have never seen him before. All I could tell you is he had orange trousers on which looked like he had just finished work.

Is there any point at all in reporting him, and if so who to? I am worried he has a not especially friendly dog that isn't being kept under safe control in public.

Thanks,

Any name

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would - even just to put your mind at ease. The police may not take action on your word, but if something was to happen again, at least they'd have some possible history. The orange trousers may be identifying enough, especially if he was wearing them when another incident occured.

It may have been nothing - GSDs are very vocal breeds, and at 5pm it's starting to get dark already. You may have taken him by surprise, the pram may have worried him, and he could have done the typical "I'll garr at you so you don't realise how scared I am" wussy GSD thing. However, even if it was that, it's not acceptable - if dog has issues like that, then the owner needs to take extra precautions not to put him in exactly the position he was in that night. My GSD can be like that with other dogs, so when we're in public places we may come across other dogs, he stays on his longline so I can control his behaviour.

I wouldn't call 999, but see if your local station has an email address or local number you could call just to get them to make a note of it.
  • any_name_will_suffice
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply krlyr.

I have just spoken to someone at the county police who have said they can't do much, but have logged the incident and will make the local officers aware. I was also told to ring the straight away if it happens again and they will send someone down.

Thanks for not telling me I over reacted- my hormones are feeling a bit fragile at the moment and I know that made me feel worse.

If that situation were to arise again, what would you think would be the best thing for me to do in the moment. My instinct was to put myself between the dog and the pram and I put my back to it inadvertently, but could that have worried the dog even more?
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If that situation were to arise again, what would you think would be the best thing for me to do in the moment. My instinct was to put myself between the dog and the pram and I put my back to it inadvertently, but could that have worried the dog even more?

I think you did the best thing possible FWIW. You didn't front up the dog or challenge it in anyway and you kept your baby safe - what else could you do?

Hopefully the owner has had a fright too and will keep better control of his dog in future and I hope he apologised to you too!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Yet another example of poor ownership :mad:

The dog maybe got a fright and was reacting entirely as it would it it felt threatened

Hopefully the owner's learnt his lesson - poor dog
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • any_name_will_suffice
    Options
    I agree, there are some people who really shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

The owner gave it a right telling off after putting it back on the lead. it must have given him a fright, and it didn't help that I all but toppled the pram over- thankfully baby was securely strapped in. I can't help but think that reprimanding the dog at that point was rather pointless - surely all it learnt was it gets told off when it is put on the lead. Confusing.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    possibly the owner 'panicked' when he saw his dog was barking at you? the dog may have slipped the leash or ran off from the owner? you were right to report it - but, I doubt it will happen again to you, or anyone else.
    (just had a thought - a neighbour had a dog which was terrified of buggies, perhaps this dog was too?).
    I do hope 'grumpy baby' was none the worse for the 'adventure'?
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just incase you find yourself in a similar position again - turning your back could give a scared dog just enough leaway to be brave enough to attack as you 'retreat' possibly better to stay facing the dog but avoid making eye contact and keep baby behind you
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Air_Cooled_75
    Air_Cooled_75 Posts: 497 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2014 at 9:17PM
    Options
    This reminds me of walking down to our little Co-op a couple of years ago (I had almost forgotten about this) with our Spaniel and little boy in the pram. A GSD came running over the main road and went for my dog, fortunately a woman by me scooped up my dog and told me to go into the shop. She walked us home. I was really shaken.

I don't know, this was an adult dog that I *think* I used to see with a bloke on a mobility scooter and I think it had escaped from his garden. I don't see it anymore.

It's quite unsettling when something like that happens.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    Just incase you find yourself in a similar position again - turning your back could give a scared dog just enough leaway to be brave enough to attack as you 'retreat' possibly better to stay facing the dog but avoid making eye contact and keep baby behind you

I think this is good advice - I used to walk past a garage on the way down to my kids school - they had two dogs, a lab and a GSD - the GSD was a softy, but the lab was quite aggressive. I just used to stop, and point my arm and sharply say 'Go Back'. the owner was rather gobsmacked that the dog did as it was told. the GSD used to come up to me for 'strokes' though - which annoyed said owner even more - it was supposed to be the 'guard dog'!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure