Litter training kittens.

Options
We took in a stray and she had a litter of 4 kittens. They're 5 weeks old tomorrow and we started weaning them a few days ago,

The weaning is going well, but I've just discovered that they've been weeing under the sofa.

I'd read that mum would pick them up and put them in the litter tray, but she's not doing that. Also, one of the kittens seems to like the taste of cat litter! As we've been using Felight which is anti-bacterial, I'm a bit worried about that.

But if mum's not teaching them, and we've not actually seen them weeing, how do we go about training them?

Comments

• dandelionclock30
    Options
    Keep puting them in the litter tay and get their paws and help them scratch the litter.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Are they only peeing under the sofa, or are they going in other places as well? If it's just under the sofa then in a sense they are litter training themselves, they're using one place as a toilet, just unfortunately not the place you'd like! would the tray fit under the sofa, so they can get used to using it in a familiar place?
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It looks like that's the only place. The litter tray will fit under there, so I'll give that a try. Also going to use a different litter that's just clay based without the antibacterial stuff in it. We've got a bag of Tesco's low dust litter which has smaller granules, so hoping the one that keeps trying to eat it will stop.

I'll also try Dandelionclock's idea too.

Thanks both.
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is not a good idea to use any clay based or clumping litter if the kittens are trying to eat it, it could cause serious blockage in the gut.
    make sure there are several trays in various areas easy to access, and make sure the trays are shallow enough for kittens to easily climb into them.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How many trays do you have?

Try to put a few more around the place.

BUT - WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS???????

:d
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    They've got the hang of it now and also stopped trying to eat the litter. :)

Afraid I can't post pics as my phone is old and I can't get a photo sharing app to work on it.
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Aww baby kittens:happyhear

I put down plastic boxes as litter trays for them but I always find they like flat surfaces to wee on, so I use the lids as wee trays with paper towels on.

The good thing is that they sort of train themselves, given half a chance. Try putting 'wee trays' under the couch and leave the litter trays elsewhere. I find mine use one area for wees and another for poos.

I also second the advice to stay away from clumping or clay litter until they're about three months old. They do like to eat it_pale_
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Cinderellie74
    Options
    Hello,
    When my cat had kittens ages ago some of her kittens did the same thing. She was a pretty good mom and kept them safe and corralled but when it came to potty/litter training they were a bit slow to get the hang of it.

I took a shall baking tin and covered it with a small layer of litter. Then I placed it where the kittens seemed to go potty the most. Within a couple of days they were using the slightly small little pan in the normal location.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • mtbbuxton
    Options
    You also need to try and take advantage of the times they would usually toilet. Lift them onto the litter tray when they wake up and after each feed. Obviously this is much easier with a single kitten than a litter, so you may need some extra hands to help.
    Well done for taking Mum in when she needed a safe haven.

M x
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    Thanks everyone. They're now litter trained and no longer eating the litter. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure