PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Indemnity insurance loft conversion

Options
Hello
Just wanted to get some advice /feedback . It's come back that the 4 bed we,re buying hasn't got building regs for loft conversion. Surveyor says he's not concerned over safety but it will incur costs to get up to building regs spec. And to be honest as this will be daughters room I am keen to do this. I gave vendor two options money off to account for work to be undertaken ( this decision wasn't taken lightly there's a lot unexpected work to do along side this ) or himself go for retrospective regs.

Anyway they've come back and said they'll purchase indemnity insurance. Yes I am happy that we're protected in case any action taken by LA but my opinion is that I am still going to be paying out more unexpected money. Am I being greedy ? Expecting too much ? Can anyone advise how to proceed even though I've told solicitor they've sent contracts this morning !

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    So it is now a 3-bed with a "useful loft room" not a 4 bed. What impact has that on price in your area?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,681 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are intending bringing the conversion up to BR spec then indemnity insurance is a waste of money. Actually indemnity insurance in such cases is a waste of money full stop as there is next to zero chance of a council taking action.

Ask the surveyor exactly what parts of the conversion lead him to believe there is no safety risk.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the work actually necessary? After, I suspect the rest of the property isn't up to current "building regs spec" either, but that isn't an argument for getting money off. How old is the conversion?
  • pma13
    pma13 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    So it is now a 3-bed with a "useful loft room" not a 4 bed. What impact has that on price in your area?

Well yes will lower price
  • pma13
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Is the work actually necessary? After, I suspect the rest of the property isn't up to current "building regs spec" either, but that isn't an argument for getting money off. How old is the conversion?

It was done prior to 2007 and surveyor couldn't give me a estimate
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does the vendor have the drawings so that you can work out exactly what was done? It may be quite safe even though not up to current regs. No point in indemnit insurance.

And yes it's a 3 bed and should be priced accordingly.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd consider revising your offer. You are now looking at a three-bed house with an accessible loft fitted out for storage. Unless you have details to show that it's safe, would you risk having your daughter sleeping up there? If it's safe, but just not compliant, that's different but until you understand why it's not compliant I would put things on hold.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    Options
    How old is the house? Can you ask neighbours if they know when it was converted?

There are tens/hundreds of thousands of loft conversions around the UK that have been done decades ago without building regs. They are safe, and they ARE bedrooms in every sense.

Upgrading a conversion to meet BR because you're concerned about safety is very OTT. Appoint a structural survey instead and ask if it's safe (rather than what need a done to meet building regulations).
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pma13 wrote: »
    ......Surveyor says he's not concerned over safety but it will incur costs to get up to building regs spec.
    1) Spec in 2007 when the conversion was done? Or current Building Regs spec? You could argue the former is reasonable. The latter is not.

2) Surveyor has clearly done a thorough inspection since he was prepared to write "he's not concerned over safety ". So which aspects are below the relevant spec? That obviously affects what costs you might/might not reasonably discuss. You can't jst pick a vague cost out of the air.
  • pma13
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    How old is the house? Can you ask neighbours if they know when it was converted?

There are tens/hundreds of thousands of loft conversions around the UK that have been done decades ago without building regs. They are safe, and they ARE bedrooms in every sense.

Upgrading a conversion to meet BR because you're concerned about safety is very OTT. Appoint a structural survey instead and ask if it's safe (rather than what need a done to meet building regulations).

Good idea thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport