Balance Transfer Credit Card Options with zero income!

Options
Hi all,

I gave up work last year to become a full time mother. My husband's income is relatively high and therefore enough to cover all our monthly outgoings including mortgage etc.

I have around £6000 of credit card debit across two cards which I am paying interest on every month currently. I'm keen to balance transfer these to a new credit card to avoid the extortionate interest but am concerned with no personal income I will be rejected for any applications, despite my husband being able to comfortably cover the monthly payments.

Does anyone know the best thing to do in this situation? Any advice or recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks in advance! :money:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your husband is willing to take on your debt, ask him to get a BT card in his name. You won't get one without an income of some kind.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As ZX81 suggests maybe transfer to your hubby if he agrees
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Transferring to your husband may well work - but I've certainly known someone in the same situation as you get a credit card with a generous limit based on family income. They weren't looking for a BT though.

I don't know how you could find out. Try the eligibility checkers. You need to find one which will ask for family / household income as well as income.
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    most banks do actually consider 'homemaker' as a valid occupation, and some also ask for household income and not just your own. I think i would recommend looking around, i was lucky enough to open an account with barclaycard, whilst in a similar situation to your own. It takes a little bit of deft, to navigate these systems! good luck!
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sainsburys asks for both personal and household income on their application form. They offer a long term no-fee, 0% BT card.

They might not accept applicants with no personal income so check for eligibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure