PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi nuatha, lovely to see you posting. I hope all's as well as possible with you and your OH :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Been MIA due to excessive allotmenteering and several good books keeping me offline but I turn up again like a bad penny. You poor beggars.:rotfl:

I know exactly where and when I acquired my problem with crowds; on 20/08/1988. To be precise, in the Guns & Roses set of the Castle Donington Monsters of Rock Festival.

Two men died in a crowd surge that I was part of for 40 minutes. Well, barely more than boys, one eighteen, one twenty. It was a good-natured and sober(ish) crowd and people were helping each other. And still two lads died. Plus I saw others injured.

I have never been able to keep my composure in crowds since, my heart starts to race, I get shaky and get a profound urge to flee ASAP. I suppose you could call it a form of PTSD, in a moderate form and in very specific set of circumtances. It also triggered claustrophobia unrelated to crowds.

I misplaced my younger brother in the crowd surge (found him by chance about four hours later). Unforgivably, bearing in mind this gig went on until nearly midnight, and many people would be away for the whole weekend, the media announced that deaths had happened on the 10 pm national news while the gig was ongoing.

All of this happened in the pre-mobile era. My poor grandparents knew that three of their four grandchildren were in that crowd, but not that we were OK (shaken but OK). I've never forgiven that stupidity from the meeja. And I've never forgiven Axl for not managing it better (G &R should have gone offstage immediately imo, as their presence was what triggered the surge).

The dead were not named until several days later. Whilst young men matching the descriptions of the deceased were incommunicado in their thousands as people were camped out and making their way back to their homes on public transport/ hitch-hiking, for a few days.

I've never been to a big gig, indoors or out, since that day. The stress would cancel out any enjoyment, although I am up for smaller venues with plenty of exits.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I went to the fireworks in Hyde Park the night before the Royal Wedding in 1981. When it was over everyone started converging on the gates to make their way home. And then the police started pushing everyone back so that the cars carrying their nibbses could drive through. That nearly became a crush that could have turned nasty and I was shaken and frightened afterwards. And resentful about the bad planning if not the privilege (they could easily have barricaded that road off so that people didn't funnel into a narrow exit).
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry Karma I didn't but I'm sure my waffle won't make any difference to your prepping levels petal, you've got a sensible little head on those shoulders and you'll be fine!

:kisses3: No worries :)
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I know exactly where and when I acquired my problem with crowds; on 20/08/1988. To be precise, in the Guns & Roses set of the Castle Donington Monsters of Rock Festival.

Two men died in a crowd surge that I was part of for 40 minutes. Well, barely more than boys, one eighteen, one twenty. It was a good-natured and sober(ish) crowd and people were helping each other. And still two lads died. Plus I saw others injured.
    Omigod :(

I'm the same with big festivals on foot, nowadays. The second time I went to Notting Hill Carnival, not sure what year it was now, me and my boyfriend were in a crush, just because of the amount of people needing to get through a narrow point in the road - maybe a car was parked where it shouldn't have been, I don't know what caused it. There were no deaths, but at the worst/most narrow point, we were squeezed so tightly, I couldn't breathe, literally, my ribcage was squeezed so tightly, I couldn't catch my breath. It wasn't panic, because the situation grew slowly until it was a problem. Didn't last long. I count myself as very lucky to have got free with no problems, and there were no deaths, no injuries because no crowd surges. Never went again, the boyfriend was extremely irritated with me, but it felt like my life had been endangered.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Right, after leaving two pages for over a week, I've finally finished summarising my 50 pages of the previous thread. So, who to send them to? And where?

Organising changed throughout the process - page numbers got dropped, headings got adopted. I've done a very rough grouping of posts, but there's plenty more to be done. And I've included some links too - I'm pretty sure I've tested all of them, links that weren't live haven't been included.

:)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Monnagran, you wouldn't bore me in the slightest, you'd be preaching to the choir!! Feel free to pm me or whatever, I'd love to hear your take on things, and all about your school. :D

My pathetic attempt at growing food (few plants in pots cos builders working next door now, and too much chaos!) amounts to about a dozen green beans on 3 plants, hopefully a few tomatoes, and maybe 6 courgettes - better prospects from the fruit trees and brambles.

I think prepping of any sort is to be lauded, whether it's putting a few quid in a tin, storing tinned stuff, or greater exploits, and I think we're all singing the same hymn, just with slight variations in words or melody. Prepping spills into my children's education - giving them skills in cooking, looking after their home and possessions, learning in a small way about outdoor skills, and so on, and they love the prospect - roll on summer!! :rotfl::rotfl:

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my first week off slimming world lost half a stone ....seemed to have just maintained my weight this week ...still got 3 days before official weigh in......very low stock of bottled water....maybe an online shop to restock....think my flats are ok re...cladding still a bit apprehensive being so far up .... you all take care
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Options
    I was a tad peeved that Every Bloke in my house seemed to feel that since I'm the (Assistant) Scout Leader, I should show son how to splice a rope. (I got me beads & some horse sense, I did not get an encyclopedia of arcane talents installed!)

However thanks to YouTube, some electricians tape & a bit of bad language (all words learned from son), we managed to get a hefty length of manila spliced, and even neatly whipped with sisal so it's very identifiable.

Son has spent much of the day swinging on it & generally exulting - now I'm home, he's got the car to wash & valet while his brothers are treated more gently after a day in school.

Whilst devoutly hoping you never need to perform an eye splice on a rope at short notice, the good news is that YouTube is admirably clear & if you don't have a marlin spike (or very heavyweight knitting needle), delegate to someone who does.
    It's reassuringly doable, sez she what did it.

Odd how once I'd done the worst stuff, husband happily taught the whipping bit.... Ah well. Ignorance is Curable. Wimping out is a right handicap, & an ongoing one at that.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Options
    Oh For Pity's Sake. It seems as I am now Queen of Fibre (and it's just as well I was simultaneously plied with a mug of tea or there would have a been a stalking off in irritation), I am to braid string.

Now, I am fine with plaiting. Do it every day to facilitate vision, hearing, eating etc & so on - I'm a longhair. But yesterday? I got handed bundles of string cut to assorted lengths & asked to plait so many inches, split and plait so many inches then recombine etc.

Today, my husband will be stitching a bit of leather in & trying sling throwing. If it works, then taking a length of broom handle to an empty beach & trying pole sling throwing is on the holiday agenda.

Meanwhile, since the string is a nice bland string colour & the leather is veg tan, it could be worn bundled around a wrist & noone would realise that person is wearing a projectile weapon.

Indeed, as I think the polesling is longer, it might look faintly belt-like. Frankly it'll be the pocket full of ball bearings (or carefully cast repro roman shot) that could be a bit tricky to explain.

Have a nice day...
    And remember mint imperials make great practice ammo as when you get bored, you eat the remaining ammo. [That it massively confuses dogs on walks is no major sin?]
  • mrsmortenharket
    mrsmortenharket Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Sorry to be rude and butt in when I haven't posted for ages, but currently watching this old programme about survivalists on BBC iPlayer.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04chvm8/tuesday-documentary-survivalists
    May interest some of you.
    :)

Edited to add: it has some contravertial views.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure