Child Trust Fund - 2nd Payment

Options
Hi. I have just read an article in our local paper which says;

"The scheme [CTF] was designed to boost the savings of children born between 2002 and 2010 with parents opening an account receiving £250 from the government.
Another £250 was promised when the child turned seven."

My sons CTF of the initial £250 is now with the Halifax and he turned seven last August. I've checked the HMRC/Gov.uk website and can't see any reference to this additional payment or how to contact them? Does anyone have any further info on this please?

Thanks

Comments

• alewin
    alewin Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Child Trust Fund scheme was scrapped by the Coalition Government when they came to power in 2010. I think from sometime in 2011 they were no longer available, including any second payments due.

They were replaced with junior ISA's where you could save for your children tax free.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Trust_Fund

Abolition[edit]
    On May 24, 2010, the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne MP and Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws MP announced that the £250 top up payments into the child trust fund would cease in August 2010, with no payments for newborns from the end of 2010.[15] The Savings Accounts and Health in Pregnancy Grant Act 2010 facilitates the abolition of the fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure