Tesco vs Barclaycard for everyday spending

Options
Hi. I've just paid of my barclaycard (finally debt free πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰) and was going to close it. However was offered Β£20 credit to keep my account open and it's been upgraded to the cashback account πŸ‘. I believe this pays 1% on America express card and 0.5 %on the visa. I currently use my tesco credit card for all spending and pay in full each month. However I have seen on her tesco are reducing the amount of club card points that can be earned to 1 per Β£8 spend elsewhere.

Am I correct it thinking I'm best to use my tesco card for tesco store and tesco petrol station and Barclaycard for all other spending??

Thanks in advance for any advice tips
Β«1

Comments

• Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Even without the reducing the Tesco is still worse. it works out to 0.25%.

you should use the barclaycard amex at Tesco rather than the Tesco card, you could use the Tesco card as a clubcard to get points on your shopping, then use the Barclaycard to pay and get 1% cashback as well
  • ice_babe
    ice_babe Posts: 335 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    From what I can work out the tesco also works out at 1% in tesco when I exchange points for 4x deals. I know at tesco petrol station im better of using tesco credit card as a club card but in guessing there's so advantage of using it over a normal club card in store? Thanks again :beer::beer:
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    yeah Tesco only works out at 1% if you exchange for the 4x deal, whereas the barclaycard amex is always 1%.

so you either get 1% in cash, or 1% on a limited selection of things, i know which i would prefer. You will still get all the normal points using a club card when shopping at Tesco. so by switching to the barclaycard you will only lose the 1 points every Β£4.

of course when Tesco changes to the 1 in Β£8, even with the 4x deals, that'll work out to 0.5%, so the same as the Barclaycard Visa.

i would use the amex at any place that will take in, places that dont, then you could decide between the Tesco or the visa (depending on if you actually make use of the 4x deals). When the points drop on the Tesco card, stick to using either Barclaycard
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Bear in mine, too, that the rate you get with Tesco is actually less, because you only get the extra point on exact multiples of Β£4 (soon to be Β£8) per transaction. So if you spend Β£399 in a month in 100x Β£3.99 transactions, you'd get nothing! If you spent the same thing on the BC Visa, you'd get Β£1.99!
  • thatwilldo
    Options
    I've just called Barclaycard due to reading this thread (I have a platinum card with a nil balance and a Tescobank MasterCard for everyday spending). I said a friend had got Β£20 when they said they were closing and they agreed to also credit my account with Β£20 (wish I had said Β£30 now). Anyway I have also upgraded the account and will be switching to the Amex Barclaycard when the Tesco card reduces it rewards.

Thanks for this thread as I would never have thought of ringing them and asking for Β£20 to stay. The cashback rewards have come at the right time for me just as Tesco reduce theirs.
  • ice_babe
    ice_babe Posts: 335 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Will switch to the Barclaycard for everyday spending :beer: never crossed my mind about the smaller transactions under Β£8.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Ehh, I thought the standard Barclaycard retention offer was Β£50

That's what I expect to get when I call up to cancel soon

I'm only cancelling because they no longer let you hold two of their cards at the same time.
  • SuperAllyB
    SuperAllyB Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zerog wrote: Β»
    Ehh, I thought the standard Barclaycard retention offer was Β£50

That's what I expect to get when I call up to cancel soon

I'm only cancelling because they no longer let you hold two of their cards at the same time.

Missed that one. I only just opened a Platinum BT card a couple of months ago alongside my existing cash back account
  • RavingMad
    RavingMad Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of the occasional perks of Tesco is the money off at the pumps. I've saved a few pence from that promotion
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have Barclaycard rewards they are redeemable at a variety of places. I use my Barclaycard for most of my spends even very low value ones.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure