smoker at work

Options

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they are buying vaping juice from some cheap Chinese producer via an online auction site it could have pretty much anything in it. As your employer has no way of knowing or controlling what pollutants they are unnecessarily expelling I would say they have a definite duty of care to protect you and other workers. The vaper is making a choice, you don't have to. I would be very wary - cigarettes were safe once, then when we tried to get people to stop smoking for health reasons ... anyone remember the mouth cancer causing alternative Skoal Bandit? images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtgfnsVw0dCKpDNINqMQmoHt848DJZaB9tNIn3Gn_SAiCBJSXq9k=9k=
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Sorry who are you?

I'm the one who can provide some evidence to back up my post, feel free to post your own link to support your assertion.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your employer needs to introduce a policy about vaping in the workplace

ATM it's not illegal to vape in the workplace but it is unlawful to use the no smoking policy to ban it. Any no smoking policy in place needs to be amended to include vaping

Also your employer, if already providing smoking areas, may have to provide vaping areas as most of us using ecigs are using them to give up smoking and we also don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke

Where I work, vaping is not allowed inside the building, there are also no designated smoking area so smokers and vapers either don't use whilst in working hours or pop outside in all elements to get their fix
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Put a fan on your desk pointing in their direction.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    WHO research suggests that exhaled e-cigarette aerosol increases the background air level of some toxicants, nicotine and particles, increasing exposure for those nearby.
    http://apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-en.pdf?ua=1

There is also a fire risk from unregulated devices and chargers.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    My simple answer to this would walk up next to him or her and drop your guts..as in a very loud smelly fart.

After all both have clouds of stinking smell and both are rather anti social...please post back results.
  • Ejog
    Ejog Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WHO desperately want to support their Pharmaceutical paymasters, and their tobacco control members who are being made redundant by successful quitters via e-cigs, but their "suggestions" arent backed up by any real science or research. They still bang on about formaldehyde and gateway effects which were debunked years ago.

I prefer to believe the Royal College of Physicians, who were largely responsible for exposing tobacco smoking as dangerous all those years ago.
    I cant post a link to their findings, but I'm sure you can Google it.
    They say its at least 95% safer than smoking.
    I'm guessing thats closer to drinking coffee than smoking, but make your own minds up.
  • Ejog
    Ejog Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stuart30 wrote: »
    My simple answer to this would walk up next to him or her and drop your guts..as in a very loud smelly fart.

After all both have clouds of stinking smell and both are rather anti social...please post back results.

Congratulations if you manage to hold in your bodily functions all day at work, I'm afraid I don't. Perhaps because you secretly fart and others have to breathe it in all day somehow that's less antisocial than breathing in vanilla or cream flavoured vapour.

Each to their own.
  • dcouponzzzz
    dcouponzzzz Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Just read that WHO report, and find it hilarious that they suggest coupling ECigs to be regulated as a tobacco product... what part of e-liquid is derived from tobacco? Absolute nonsense. And banning sweet flavours to prevent minors vaping? If they really want to make a difference to public health then they should recommend preventing alcohol products from tasting like fruit or candy.

Nicotine has also been referred to as the 'opposite side of the coin' to caffeine. Plain tea (no milk or cream) and black coffee only would be their recommendation.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £6951 , Mortgage: 261k - Savings: £0! Home improvements are expensive
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Regardless of whether vaping is harmful or not, its still antisocial and inconsiderate to put someone in a situation where they have to breath in your fumes.
    I know of some companies who have vaping policies so maybe you need to suggest to your manager that your organisation looks into it. I too find it annoying that some smokers are always popping outside. I'm sure if I went out every hour to eat chocolate it wouldn't be tolerated! It should be reserved for break times only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure