Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    toshi wrote: »
    lol, never ending windows update.:)

I feel your pain there haha :)
    , Something needs to be done, but im not sure what without a complete re-write from the ground up - Which is obviously not feasible ..
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 12:39PM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Anything with an atom processor runs like treacle, it did in 2015 and it would today.
    Those horrible little netbooks were a total waste of money, have you ever used one (TRIED to use one lol) ?

Like an eee-pc ? We have one here, works perfectly well, use it every day. Must be over 7 years old by now, come to think of it.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Like an eee-pc ? .

Yes, thats exactly the system i was thinking about !!!
    God they are horrible beyond words ..

What do you use it for ?
    IME - browsing alone with no software installed whatsoever was absolutely garbage.
    I think i even threw 2 of those in the skip a few years back they were that bad !!

Edit : I got a horrible little shudder down my back when i remembered those things lol
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Anything with an atom processor runs like treacle, it did in 2015 and it would today.
    Those horrible little netbooks were a total waste of money, have you ever used one (TRIED to use one lol) ?
    I've spent a few thousand hours using one, as have rest of the large number of buyers of the Tesco Hudl 2 tablet, which uses the Intel Atom Z3735D CPU that was released in January 2014. That one is fine for web browsing, productivity applications and video playback. The first CPU in the list I mentioned so far is the Atom x5 Z8300 with a CPUMark of 1202. That's decent enough compared to the 1501 of the Core 2 Duo E6550 that was around when Windows XP was normal but with the advantage of solid state instead of spinning drive and the same sort of amount of RAM.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    I've spent a few thousand hours using one, as have rest of the large number of buyers of the Tesco Hudl 2 tablet, which uses the Intel Atom Z3735D CPU. That one is fine for web browsing, productivity applications and video playback.

maybe ok when running android, but certainly not good for Windows....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AndyPix
    Options
    ^^ This exactly.

You are comparing apples and oranges James
    (perhaps I should have been more specific in my post)
  • jamesd
    edited 17 May 2017 at 1:14PM
    Options
    They certainly aren't the fastest CPUs around but they can still get the job done, if picked for an appropriate set of activities. I wouldn't particularly want to use one for something very CPU-intensive that I might like to use my desktop's i7 with full desktop CPU power consumption for but I doubt that TrishaM is going to be wanting to play fairly demanding games at 4k resolution while having a couple of VMs running.

I'm not comparing apples and oranges but rather looking at the sort of stuff that ordinary people with a budget seem quite content to buy and use.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    appropriate set of activities.

Capture.jpg
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Options
    Capture.jpg

YOU SHOULD NOT TREAT A THINKPAD LIKE THAT!!!!!!!! :mad:
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • jamesd
    edited 17 May 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Hmm, what model is that? It might be faster than the T410 my work provides for me. :) That's also fine for everyday tasks and a VM or two, say XP and one of the Linux flavours I run on top of its Windows 7. CPU in that is an i5-520M with CPUMark around 2382.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure