2 month old bank account, suspicious transaction already.....

Options
smeeinnit
smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 March 2017 at 5:07PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
:mad:

Hi all

I have recently switched one of my bank accounts from M&S to Nationwide. Today I have found a transaction for £135 that I did not make (its been reported and card stopped).

Never having been a member of Nationwide before I was quite impressed with the account security. I have not used the debit card often, so I am really puzzled how this could have happened.

I have only used an ATM once, 6 weeks ago, and its not one I have heard has had cloning devices found.

I've used contactless a couple of times and a couple of instore and online purchases from previously used retailers. I am careful with my data and cards, so I am struggling to work this out.

Anyone else had issues with account security with Nationwide? Or have I just been lucky till now and this is normal life?
Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    It could have happened with any card provider.

The type of transaction and retailer for the £135 would intrigue me.
  • smeeinnit
    Options
    H Peaceful

Looks to me like a web purchase, from Asda Home Delivery. I have not bought anything from Asda for years. I checked the account I have with Asda and no recent orders are there, so I have ruled out sleep shopping :rotfl:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Could anyone else have access to your Nationwide account or card?
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 5:44PM
    Options
    ASDA Home Deliveries, unlike some online retailers, does not store the CVV of a card. That has to be entered every time one places an order. This information would not have been collected during an ATM / Chip & Pin / contactless transaction.

That means someone has got the information from the physical card or from when you provided it for other online transactions.
  • smeeinnit
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    ASDA Home Deliveries, unlike some online retailers, does not store the CVV of a card. That has to be entered every time one places an order. This information would not have been collected during an ATM / Chip & Pin / contactless transaction.

That means someone has got the information from the physical card or from when you provided it for other online transactions.

Hmm makes me think the card has been cloned, nobody else has access to this card, and my Asda online account has not been used.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    ... its not one I have heard has had cloning devices found.
    How many particular ATM have you heard of?
    I have not heard of any, and most skimming devices get removed by the fraudsters before being found.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    Hmm makes me think the card has been cloned, nobody else has access to this card, and my Asda online account has not been used.
    But, as was stated earlier, Asda require the CVV. This would have to be physically seen and remembered, it wouldn't be collected by a skim.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Look close to home.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you regularly run something like Malwarebytes to check your computer for key-logger software?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you regularly run something like Malwarebytes to check your computer for key-logger software?

It's worth doing this anyway, but unless the OP has actually bought something online using the card and has entered the CVV then it won't be the culprit in this instance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure