Meeting tomorrow - need urgent answers please

Options
loubee1234567
loubee1234567 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 24 January 2018 at 12:17PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi, I work as a cleaning supervisor at a retail head office. It was announced last year that the building was closing down on the 16/02/2018.
We were tuped to a new company in September 2017 obviously knowing our jobs were at risk of redundancy - the company assured us that new jobs were on the horizon.
They came to site on 12/01/2018 to advise us that the building is closing and we are at risk of redundancy. Our 1-1 consultations are 25/01/2018.
Now my questions are this, I've worked there for almost 6 years so I know I'll get 5 weeks redundancy pay - we all work different hours to our contracts due to newer staff leaving (we have dropped from 11 cleaners to just 6). I saw the redundancy calculators this morning HR have emailed and whilst people who have only worked 5 months over their contracted hours are getting paid at there current hours - mine are based on my contracted 40 - despite the fact I've worked 50 plus for the last 3 years - can they do this?

Also my notice on there says 1 week, surely this is incorrect or can they start the notice from the date of the initial meeting on the 12/01/2018?

* there are 20 employees in total who work here.- some on maternity and other facilities - so consultation should be 30 days if I'm correct.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I work as a cleaning supervisor at a retail head office. It was announced last year that the building was closing down on the 16/02/2018.
    We were tuped to a new company in September 2017 obviously knowing our jobs were at risk of redundancy - the company assured us that new jobs were on the horizon.
    They came to site on 12/01/2018 to advise us that the building is closing and we are at risk of redundancy. Our 1-1 consultations are 25/01/2018.
    Now my questions are this, I've worked there for almost 6 years so I know I'll get 5 weeks redundancy pay - we all work different hours to our contracts due to newer staff leaving (we have dropped from 11 cleaners to just 6). I saw the redundancy calculators this morning HR have emailed and whilst people who have only worked 5 months over their contracted hours are getting paid at there current hours - mine are based on my contracted 40 - despite the fact I've worked 50 plus for the last 3 years - can they do this?

Also my notice on there says 1 week, surely this is incorrect or can they start the notice from the date of the initial meeting on the 12/01/2018?

* there are 20 employees in total who work here.- some on maternity and other facilities - so consultation should be 30 days if I'm correct.
    That depends if all 20 are at risk. Maybe they're keeping one role on (I'm assuming you don't all have the same role)

I think redundancy should be factored on actual hours worked, but I'm not 100% on that
  • loubee1234567
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Yes all 20 of us are at risk. 3 different departments within same company providing facilities all tuped in September 2017
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    If you have worked there a full six years, your notice is six weeks.

If you have standard hours (40) then overtime isn't included in the calculation.
  • loubee1234567
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    If you have worked there a full six years, your notice is six weeks.

If you have standard hours (40) then overtime isn't included in the calculation.

Thanks for replying, I need to know when the notice starts - would that be from our first meeting or after the consultation period?

I know it's not based on overtime but as an example one colleague is contacted to 16 hours but has done 30 since August 2017 (no contract change) and on the redundancy sheet sent down today they are getting paid 4 years based on 30 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure