Incapacity Benefit Help!

Options
Ok i have a number of questions regarding this, so please if you can help i would be most appriciative.

I am 23 years old and have just received a claim pack for the 6 monthly incapacity eligability as i have been unable to work for nearly 6 months now (6 months on 25/11/04).Now i have heard that there is a medical that i have to go through, and the result of this will determine what happens next.

I am worried about this because i have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression (acute social anxiety, making it difficult to even talk to people and so on which has made me depressed). I am worried because i have read about and heard of people with far worse physical disabilities still not being eligable for it, so i am pretty sure i will go back on JSA which at the moment would not be a good idea as mentally that would probably be destructive. I have never been good in interview situation and find it exceptionally difficult to explain problems i may have adequetly in person.

I do not want to be sick, i want to be better, but this can't happen until i have proper counselling and a change in my medication.

When will this medical take place?

What are the criteria for 'passing'?

Has anyone else had what i have and what are the chances of me being considered for incapacity benefit?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Xearo. :-/

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    You can get a lot of further information about the IB mental health test here.
    Benefitsandwork Ib GUIDE

and there is more detail here
    IB214 A guide to the personal capability assessment

Having the opportunity to think about the mental health test criteria before the test should enable you to find examples of your behaviours which fit the criteria. You will be asked to describe a "Typical Day" and by including in your "Typical Day" a selection of appropriate descriptor behaviours you will increase the odds of these being noted. Although it is easy to get a bit hysterical reading all the bad luck stories you do have to keep in mind that overall the majority of PCA assessments actually support the claimants. Although there are a few doctors doing these assessments whose opinions are unique to them on the whole they do report accurately. I've had a couple of personal friends go through this recently and both found the experience went in their favour and was a lot less distressing than they were expecting.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Xearo,

You can get someone else to sort out the claim on your behalf (if you are unable to deal with the claim yourself). If part of your problem is leaving the house you can ask if the assessment doctor can come to your house.

When you mention counselling, I have known people in your situation who just don't get the counselling they need, it depends what's available in your area. The answer to all of this will come from you, whether it's through counselling or talking to a friend or family about things or doing things that make you feel less anxious.

Are you happy with the medication you are on? Do you need prescription drugs, some of which get such bad press (and can add to anxiety)? Is there some voluntary work you could do (just a small no. of hours) or some paid work (again few hours) or an adult education course (woodwork, art, music - something where you don't have to talk to people so much but can if you want)? If you can just make a small move towards communicating with people again it will help build your confidence. (Even posting on here is communicating with people!). I personally think there are a lot of people in your situation.

Is it to do with the work you were in before (unsuitable/people who worked there/low wage)? Perhaps some kind of new training would help you, there are lots of courses you could go on, even something once a week would help towards looking for work in the future.

These are all just my personal thoughts, you don't have to answer anything! I hope you'll carry on posting here as that can be helpful too - check out how you can save money too. :)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport