Pregnant and job searching, can I change my mind?

Options

Comments

• Anne25_2
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks like OP won't be eligible for SMP

No I would not be eligible for SMP, even if i had accepted in the first instance I would not have been. :(
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anne25 wrote: »
    No I absolutely would not want to employ a pregnant person - and people like your colleague really annoy me too! I know someone (a teacher) who keeps having babies to avoid having to return to work!! :mad:
    My issue really is that I need to work and feel this company may be my only hope. But at the same time, I do not want to “mug them off” so to speak as they really did seem like a lovely bunch of people! Its a question of morals and ethics really.

And therein why this board has such problems.

A pregnant person searching for a job who wouldn't employ a pregnant person themselves, coming on here for a moral and ethics debate whilst criticising some one else for having babies.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to think that there aren't really people on this planet who keep having babies purely to avoid going back to work, but somehow I suspect there are - and, in my view, that's very sad indeed.
  • Anne25_2
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »

A pregnant person searching for a job who wouldn't employ a pregnant person themselves, coming on here for a moral and ethics debate whilst criticising some one else for having babies.

1. Well would you want to employ someone, train them up only for them to leave in 4 months??

2. I was not looking for any kind of a debate, just some friendly advice.

3. I would never criticise someone for being pregnant!! I am referring to people who intentionally abuse the system like the one I mentioned - who openly admits to doing it! These people spoil it for the rest of us, and I can see why employers would be wary of employing a pregnant woman for this very reason. Pregnant women have a right to work and earn like everyone else.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »

Wish I hadn’t tried to help now.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Ja7188 wrote: »
    I'd love to think that there aren't really people on this planet who keep having babies purely to avoid going back to work, but somehow I suspect there are - and, in my view, that's very sad indeed.

If there are there can!!!8217;t be many, looking after an endless chain of babies and toddlers is much harder than most jobs, they!!!8217;d have to be pretty dim or really really love nappies and sleepless nights.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Anne

You are entitled to work but as you are probably aware most employers probably won't be to chuffed to find you will be off pretty much 3 months down the line for up to one year.

Only a suggestion to try and solve the moral side and would require you to be honest to the employer and not screw them but...

Tell them you are pregnant, tell them that you can't claim SMP (whilst most employers can claim all this back some still have a cost) and tell them you will only claim the holiday earnt whilst at work (legally you are entitled to it all...however I believe the employer only has to give you the opportunity to take it...if you don't then it is up to you).

I'm sure some will baulk at the idea but its totally understandable you want to work and it seems a fair solution to me.

They may of course still say no but they also may say yes and allow you to take all holiday...or you may just meet in the middle as i suggest.

Nothing to lose by asking.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Anne25 wrote: »
    1. Well would you want to employ someone, train them up only for them to leave in 4 months??

Well, *anyone* can leave in 4 months! That's the risk you take with EVERYONE!

A lot of people these days think "old-school" and hold the same reservations as you with pregnant women/disabled people. It is human nature to be like that, more so given this was fairly normal only within a lifetime!

The UK currently gives pregnant women a fair crack at gaining employment, though, and you have to adapt to that way of thinking. So in that respect, pregnant women should (and mainly do) get judged solely on their suitability for the role.

So I personally WOULD hire a pregnant woman IF she was the best candidate for the job. If she was the most capable. Sure, it would suck her going off for a few months BUT I would be hopeful that she would be more than willing to return after the pregnancy.
    2. I was not looking for any kind of a debate, just some friendly advice.

Well, in post 11 you stated a personal opinion and diverged from your mainly questions-based/factual first post. Brining in opinion, and a rather contentious one at that, leaves you open for debate.
    3. I would never criticise someone for being pregnant!! I am referring to people who intentionally abuse the system like the one I mentioned - who openly admits to doing it! These people spoil it for the rest of us, and I can see why employers would be wary of employing a pregnant woman for this very reason. Pregnant women have a right to work and earn like everyone else.
    Well ok, fair point BUT you did say:

"I absolutely would not want to employ a pregnant person"

That's sort of pigeonholing ALL pregnant women, and not just the ones who abuse the system... Try and be a bit more congruent, either be 100% against hiring pregnant people (which is discrimination) or those who abuse the system (which is also discrimination, but morally understandable to an extent).
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Tell them you are pregnant, tell them that you can't claim SMP (whilst most employers can claim all this back some still have a cost) and tell them you will only claim the holiday earnt whilst at work (legally you are entitled to it all...however I believe the employer only has to give you the opportunity to take it...if you don't then it is up to you).

OP cannot choose to forego the annual leave accrued during maternity leave. She could unofficially agree not to pursue them for the time or payment, but that agreement would have no official standing and she could then sue the employer for the payment and potentially for discrimination.

It's a good idea, but no rational employer would agree to it.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    OP cannot choose to forego the annual leave accrued during maternity leave. She could unofficially agree not to pursue them for the time or payment, but that agreement would have no official standing and she could then sue the employer for the payment and potentially for discrimination.

It's a good idea, but no rational employer would agree to it.

I understand that, which was why I was saying the OP would need to be honest.

If the OP did enforce the holiday pay after saying she wouldn't then considering she will be of maternity leave and under two years the employer could quite easily remove her with little comeback.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure