Card shuffling between two accounts

Options
Hi,

I am aware of credit card shuffling to reduce interest, however i was wondering if there are rules on shuffling between cards after transfers have been applied.

Example (excuse dollar sign, no pound sign on keyboard):

$6,000 on card A at 10% with limit of $8,000.
$8,000 on card B at 20% with limit of $10,000.

Card B are currently running a promotion.... Balance transfer of 7% for 5 years with no handling or transfer fees.

Can I transfer $2,000 from card A to card B to receive the 7% interest, leaving $4000 debt on card A.

The question is whether or not I can then transfer $4,000 from card B back to card A to reduce the interest from 20% to 10%.

Will the transfer come from the money with the 7% interest rate or from the one with 20% interest rate. Or does the transferred money have to remain in the account for a minimum amount of time?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers.

Comments

• Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Probably Card B will not let you transfer more than 95% of the limit

I guess the tranche of borrowing that you transfer from B to A will depend on their T&C but expect the outcome least favourable to you until you are sure.

They probably don't know or care that it is the same money you are moving between B and A, unless you make a large number of suspicious transactions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Abbey1991 wrote: »

I guess the tranche of borrowing that you transfer from B to A will depend on their T&C but expect the outcome least favourable to you until you are sure.

No need to expect the worst. The highest rate balance will be moved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure