mybuilder.com - any good?

Options

Comments

• naomig
    naomig Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2011 at 11:41AM
    Options
    I joined mybuilder and myhammer quite recently as I'm a tradesman looking to widen my options for work.

Like a lot of tradesmen, I also advertise, so already spend hard earned money on lead generation.

Since I joined these two sites, I come home most evenings with new leads in my inbox !

For just over £50 membership fees per quarter, I consider that to be amazing value.

If any tradesmen out there can honestly claim to get that amount of leads from their current advertising strategy then please let me know.

Obviously leads need to be qualified and converted, but the opportunity to convert one every few days, out of say a minimum of half a dozen leads per day is a totally new paradigm.

If you do not acknowledge that simple fact then you are either being disingenuous or, perhaps live in an area or low activity anyway.

If somebody can suggest another way, for £50 a quarter, to get potential work leads in my inbox every day then I'm all ears.

Since joining mybuilder I've secured about 10 jobs so the membership fees and commission fees have paid for themselves already.

I like the way mybuilder works. The site is very easy to use which is crucially important for me. Jobs are allocated to tradesmen based on the skills profile and their preferred geographical work area that they enter. Customer's can also request specific tradesmen to quote.

Fees:

In addition to the tradesman's quarterly membership fees there is a 5% + VAT commission to pay to mybuilder for every job won.

My only grumble is that many customers seem blissfully unaware of this fact. When I point it out to them, they invariably are surprised.

One very apparent upstanding lady customer said to me only this week, that she would take the job off of mybuilder once she had found a tradesman !

Odd isn't it, in this day and age of cowboy builders, and the imperative to find good quality, honest, reliable tradesman, the first reaction of those same customers seems to be to want ot cheat the service provider out of their success fee !

It seems that it's ok for customers to try and cheat the system, but they want to find tradesmen that don't.

Cowboy customers anyone ?

The 5% + VAT mybuilder and 6% + German VAT (19%) for myhammer is the reason why I never include materials in my quotes.

So, one of the things I find quite frequently is that you spend time contacting, visiting, preparing a quote only to see the job get deleted by the customer once they have found another tradesman, so that they don't have to pay the success fee.

It's ok for customers to behave dishonestly but TV programmes get made when tradesmen do it.

Guarantee of quality ?

What ever gave anyone the idea that an internet directory would assure customers of the quality of a tradesman's work ?

Perhaps we should have a mysolicitor site, a mydoctor site, a mydentist site, a myestateagent site etc etc. Then see what their feedback is like.

Sure, some are bound to get some feedback posted by their mates, but they'd be paying a 5% or 6% + VAT commission for each of those dodgy reviews. Not too much of a problem for small jobs, but for larger projects where references are going to be more important, I'd say that sort of devious practice would prove to be cost prohibitive.

I work bloody hard for my feedback thank you very much. I am ware that one unsatisfied customer could mean me losing my 100% positive status - so the answer is simple.

Produce high quality work, be reliable and honest and make sure your customer is happy.

Oh and be careful what work you take on.

One thing I've learned already on these sites is that the approach to customers is very important. You get one chance to pitch and that's it. If it doesn't work then chances are someone else will get the phone call or email. So, no different to real life really.

Greedy ?

I find it simply nonsensical to deride the fee structure. It implies that a tradesman doesn't already have overheads in lead generation. If you are lucky enough to be employed full time on referrals and recommendations already then why join these sites in the first place.

If you are not then why deride the fees for getting new work ?

You can't have it both ways can you ?

Unless, of course you just want something new to moan about.

I think these internet services can be made to work for both tradesmen and customers alike. I don't mind paying success fees if it means that I get more work.

The Myhammer site I find a lot more complicated to use and imo it takes a little while to get to grips with. I also find it very London centric and as it works by the customer providing a proposed price for the job, I feel that it introduces a potential barrier in many cases where the customer has budgeted unrealistically.

Also, do customers pay income tax and NI I wonder ?

If so, why is it that they always expect tradesmen not to ?

Cowboy Customers is long overdue me thinks ....

Very informative post. Thanks you. But I have a question:

1. You state above (i have boldened it) that it’s difficult to fake large jobs feedback as the tradesman would have to pay the commission for it making it a very expensive practice but is there any way of actually finding out what the value of previous jobs was set to on mybuilder.com? I.e., is it impossible for a tradesman to get his friend to set up a fictitious job titled "New extension build" just for the fake positive feedback and for him to accept the job for say £50 and therefore only paying £2.5 commission?
  • Toreador
    Toreador Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    At first we were emailing and phoning around a lot - getting no response or being told they were too busy.

We need some work doing on our house and are getting the same problem. The worst is when they come round to give a quote and we never hear from them again, so not only are we no further forward but we've also had to waste precious time off work.

I thought we were meant to be in a recession? The builders round here (York) obviously aren't, as they can afford to turn away work and also to treat potential customers with complete contempt. If I treated my customers/prospective customers like this then I'd have been out of a job years ago.

So we're turning to people like mybuilder. Not, as some tradesmen have suggested in this thread, to try to get a job done for a pittance - but to get the job done at all.

Rant over!
  • owls
    owls Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    It works both ways,

im a self employed plasterer/renderer and the amount of jobs i go look at and they are clearly time wasters they have no intention of having work there just dreaming, or i spend time going to see the job working out an estimate, work out a detailed estimate and not even a thanks but no thanks.
    or i spend time traveling to view a project [sometimes an hour]and there not in, or i cant get hold of them.

not all tradesman are as you describe, and not all customers are how i describe.
    im actually working in york at present for some very nice clients.
  • Toreador
    Toreador Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Know any reliable roofers? :wink:
  • GoToGal
    GoToGal Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I'm a serious "buyer" looking for tradesmen and constantly taking time off to show tradesmen around and get quotes. So far, I've only had 2.

I need some glass replacing in a conservatory, 6 visited, 1 quoted.

I need my gable end repointed, several have visited, only 1 sent me a quote in writing.

I need some work done on a wardrobe, 3 joiners turned up, none have quoted.

Obviously, I want to compare quotes before I hire anyone, so the 2 guys will see me as a timewaster but I'd be nuts not to get at least 3 quotes in.

So it's hard for us customers too. So far I've used a mix of sites like mybuilder.com and fmb as well as personal recommendations from neighbours. I've got some new numbers to ring up on Monday but it's annoying to keep being let down.

So.. anyone know a good reliable glazier / builder / joiner in the Bolton area who does invoiced, insured work?

:D
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    he also fixed a dripping tap he noticed in the kitchen when he was having a cup of tea with son after the job (and didnt charge!)

How do you know he didn't recover it? ;)

Accept it looks good though and shows good customer service.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • nicolawug
    nicolawug Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 2 November 2011 at 1:23PM
    Options
    We run a small property services and business and today received an email from mybuilder advising they are changing their charging structure so now we have to pay a fee for any job where a potential customer shortlists us, no refunds if the customer then decides to cancel, or the phone number is incorrect! Seems a shame - up until now we paid a % if we won a job which was fair now they have adopted other sites charging structure - as a fairly recent start up we have tried them and we were paying hundreds of pounds a month for leads of which many had wrong numbers, misinformation or so many tradesman quoting they weren't really interested. Mybuilder are trying to sell this as a benefit to tradesmen - I dont see any benefit for us but I do see mybuilder raking in the money even if the job is not awarded or cancelled.:mad:
  • I used 'mybuilder.com' to find an electrician - he had 5 x 5star ratings and claimed to be fully qualified. Proved to be a complete disaster and I had to employ another electrician (found through 'which local') to check the work he had done - which turned out to be substandard, untidy and incomplete. Clearly not a 5 star tradesperson and the recommendations on mybuilder were completely unreliable - I suspect they were bogus. I strongly recommend - DO NOT USE this site!!!
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used MyBuilder extensively for the last 7 months during my whole-house refurbishment project. I've had very mixed results. I've some really outstanding work done and some very poor work.

It's very important to read the feedback of a trader and also the types of jobs that feedback is for. Most of the traders that i've booked thorugh MyBuilder wanted cash in hand and for the job NOT to be allocated through MyBuilder, as they pay 5% commission on the agreed price.

If you do decide to NOT confirm the job through MyBuilder (so the trader ends up with an extra 5% in cash) then you are asking for trouble. The job is likely to be substandard and you'll see the trader disappear for parts of the day to do jobs which he has booked through MyBuilder to keep those customers happy as they can leave feedback. You won't be able to leave if you don't confirm and allocate the job through MyBuilder and the trader knows this.

It's also very important to describe the job accurately with photos if possible. MyBuilder sends out emails to local(ish) traders and many of them simply don't bother reading your job advert but just send you a standard message which is a copy and paste of their profile and then asking to come and see the job for a free quote. So, I would shortlist those that take the trouble to read your job advert and send you a proper reply.

Many of the traders will give you two prices: one for agreeing the job through MyBuilder and the other lower price for you not to put the (legally binding) job through MyBuilder. Don't be tempted by this. The feedback system is a MASSIVE stick with which to ensure that the trader does a good job.

Always put everything in writing through the message system for the job. This provides an audit trail to which MyBuilder have access to in case of any disputes. Ensure that you receive confirmation replies from the trader through the MyBuilder message system before you allocate the job. Never agree anything verbally.

Some of the traders are excellent, others are cowboys.

Those are the lessons that i've learned through using MyBuilder.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    This:
    evoke wrote: »
    I've used MyBuilder extensively.... I've some really outstanding work done and some very poor work.
    and this:
    Clearly not a 5 star tradesperson and the recommendations on mybuilder were completely unreliable.

seem to suggest that this:
    The feedback system is a MASSIVE stick with which to ensure that the trader does a good job.
    doesn't work in practice.
    Some of the traders are excellent, others are cowboys.
    So the oft repeated (and often ignored) advice remains that these sites are a total waste of time and you should only go for recommendations from a source you trust.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure