Does debt to income ratio matter?

Options
Is there a point where unsecured debt to ratio reaches such a point that the debt become unmanageable?

Our current unsecured debt to ratio is currently around 62% if we use our gross salaries but if we use take home pay its more like 95%!!!!!!!

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I *think* that's not quite the right way of looking at it. (Apologies if I'm missing the point). For example - a mortgage is a debt, but will always - at least at first - far exceed your gross annual income for pretty much everyone. It depends on the amount of the debt, the term, and the amount you have to repay.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's the wrong way to look at it... It's about affordability and outgoings. Your level of debt might be crippling for you, but for someone who has no rent etc (living at home?) and hammering their debt for a year or two could be no "big deal" relatively speaking, so no I think it's the wrong way of looking at it.

If you include my car in my debts then I'd have been over 100% my annual income in debt a few years ago as I was in a different job. BUT my husband pays the mortgage and most of the bills so relatively it wasn't quite as big a deal as if I'd also had other bills if that makes sense?

It's about what you can afford, sustain and manage.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • jonnybeegood
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I can see your points. Its not like I am planning to pay it all back in a year. I think that realistically we are looking at around 40 months.
  • Sanctioned_Parts_List
    Options
    Always with the interesting questions, jonny! :beer:

The debt to income ratio doesn't matter - it's the income to necessary expenditure ratio that defines when debt repayments will start to bite...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure