Very!! cheap call to Irish mobiles

Options
I have been hunting for the cheapest way to call my girlfriend's mobile in Ireland (from the UK). I have got it down to around 4p / min which really is incredible.

Here's the trick:

go to https://www.esms.com and sign up for one of their free 0844 numbers - This can then be redirected to numbers in loads of different countries. The best deal, imho, is that very unusually, Irish mobile numbers are included in the list.

With my provider I can then call the 0844 number for 4p flat rate.

Someone must be losing out here because terminating calls to irish mobiles is even more outrageous than uk ones. In fact I have worked out that even people living in ireland and dialing the UK number would save a fair bit.

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you actually done it? I asked them about this a few months ago, and they said it was an error on the website and would be removed. If it does work, it could be used to make cheap calls from the Irish mobile by using callback
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    Its a 5p a minute 0844 number from a BT Landline 24/7.

Says on their site.

"Calls from outside the UK will be accepted if economically viable but may be rejected at certain times of day depending where the number is set to forward to."
  • tomjmul
    Options
    Have you actually done it? I asked them about this a few months ago, and they said it was an error on the website and would be removed. If it does work, it could be used to make cheap calls from the Irish mobile by using callback

yes I have done it and use this technique every day when calling Irish mobile phones.
    If it does work, it could be used to make cheap calls from the Irish mobile by using callback

How would that work in practice?
    "Calls from outside the UK will be accepted if economically viable but may be rejected at certain times of day depending where the number is set to forward to."

Well I myself use the number from the UK, so no problems there.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let's say you have the Irish mobile, with the Uk 0844 diverted number. Find a callback operator that has 0844 calls cheaper than Irish mobiles: not too difficult. Some callback methods use the caller ID from your phone, so you would not be able to use them, but others allow you to define the two numbers you'd like to connect together, maybe by sms or wap/gprs. Connect the 0844 number and the destination for a call rate from about 6p a minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure