Care and Repair

Options
I was surprised and delighted to find this service called Care and Repair which appears to operate nationally on a regional basis.

For those aged 60 years or over, and either an home-owner or private tenant (not co uncil or HA tenant) they come out and do minor repairs or maintainence for no charge.

The details were given to me by Social Services in regard to my aged and well over 60 years mother who needed a strip light thingy replaced. The ceilings are very high in her flat and all her 'capable' friends are now deceased. A chap came out, changed the starter and replaced the strip bulb FOC. She had a new strip already though the chap said he would have supplied one if needed.

It's such a reassurance for me that this service exists as it means she won't now climb ladders (she's 87 BTW) and also won't expect me to do it instead (I'm 60+).

They are funded by a mixture of grants and central monies. I was most impressed with the service, care and speed of work. As I hadn't heard of it before I thought it was worth a 'push'.

Comments

• retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it sounds wonderful. The link for England branch doesn't seem to work off of google.
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2015 at 9:56AM
    Options
    it sounds wonderful. The link for England branch doesn't seem to work off of google.

http://careandrepair-england.org.uk/ Worked OK for me via Firefox and Chrome.

Looking at that site it seems that it may operate differently in England.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure