Need Help, HMRC Demanding tax paid to Moonbeever

Options
Hi

I have posted this before but not had anybody respond with similar problems.

HMRC are taking £250 a month extra from my wifes wages next April to cover the tax we didn't pay during our bankruptcy.

The tax we would have paid went to moon beever and we were not told we would still have to pay the tax at a later date.

Has anybody had this happen?

HMRC are being very difficult and wont let us speak to the bankruptcy department.

Its getting very stressful and i could use some help.

Thanks

Comments

• TheGardener
    Options
    You are right that you should not be paying the tax twice. If you haven't already done so - send a copy of the BR order to HMRC along with evidence of the payments to Moonbeaver. I would also copy in your OR and your wife's payroll office if possible.
  • wharty
    wharty Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. They said we haven’t paid it twice, we were given a nil tax code so we can pay moonbeever. They said we still owe just shy of 3k. Apparently it’s normal practice. HMRC just won’t talk to us it’s been 3 months now since we had the letter and they haven’t returned any calls.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not a legal expert but I'm pretty certain HMRC have got something wrong - any tax owed prior to the BR falls into the BR and any tax due during the BR year goes to the OR - are they saying you should have paid more to the OR/moonbeaver?
  • wharty
    Options
    So basically we were made bankrupt in June 2013 and discharged in June 2014. My wife worked all the way through bankruptcy and the tax she would normally have paid went straight to moonbeever as we had a nil tax code. Been told that because we didn’t pay HMRC For that year we have to pay it back.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's just plain wrong. You need to write again making a formal complaint and send by registered delivery. See of you can get the local OR's ear for 10 mins to confirm details.
  • panic_stations
    Options
    It's not quite the same thing, but I have an attachment of earnings order in favour of HMRC which predates my bankruptcy. They take £50/month from me. The OR saw all this when I went in with all my stuff immediately post bankruptcy and said nothing at all about stopping it. So it continues and will eventually be paid in full.
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Firstly, on the main post, I agree completely with The Gardener, and you should make a formal complaint to HMRC including with it the evidence that has been suggested.
    and...
    Secondary post - panic stations - you too should make a formal complaint to HMRC and provide proofs of you bankruptcy and the fact you require a refund of all monies since your BR date.
    You would also be better starting your own thread.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • wharty
    Options
    Thanks. We rang HMRC and made a complaint. They said they would put a note on file and have somebody ring us on Thursday. They didn’t ring back as usual and so we are now still stressed and it’s cisting a small fortune in phone calls.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 17 December 2017 at 10:25PM
    Options
    You haven't actually said what years are involved, is the debt definitely just for the same tax year as the bankruptcy?

It's quite possible to have a debt which will have to be paid, bankruptcy doesn't stop that but it might be wrong. Irrespective of what others have said on this thread it's impossible to say without some more specifics.
  • wharty
    Options
    Ok so made bankrupt in June 13 and they are claiming the income tax for 2013/14. They gave us a nil tax code and we had to pay the income tax to Moonbeever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure