Where to put savings?

Options
2»

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    So far, the regular saver has been renewable every year, with whatever conditions were current at the time. It's apparent short duration is no reason not to take advantage of 5% while it's around.
    Other Regular Savers are available at 5% and lower, and other current accounts also pay worthwhile interest, although not as much as last year.

What do you mean it's renewable? Surely If I have £1000 in at the end of it's term - I can't just renew then for another 12 months @ 5% with the original £1000 there?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I mean you can start another one. The question of where to put the accumulated money is to be considered in 12 months time, or so, when the offers then available are known.
    Some people arrange things so that a Regular Saver matures each month, and the proceeds are immediately fed into its replacement and the other 11 RSs. The instant access and wide variability of monthly payments available on many of the RSs help to make this viable.

Other people take the accumulated Saver proceeds and invest them as a lump sum in an S&S ISA.

Either way, they keep renewing the regular savers as they mature.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    I mean you can start another one. The question of where to put the accumulated money is to be considered in 12 months time, or so, when the offers then available are known.
    Some people arrange things so that a Regular Saver matures each month, and the proceeds are immediately fed into its replacement and the other 11 RSs. The instant access and wide variability of monthly payments available on many of the RSs help to make this viable.

Other people take the accumulated Saver proceeds and invest them as a lump sum in an S&S ISA.

Either way, they keep renewing the regular savers as they mature.

That's an interesting point. I will have this conundrum early next year when my Nationwide RS matures. As least now I know I have the option of setting up a new one, however as you said, where does the surplus go?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure