PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    What was in war time sausages? :eek:

You probably won't want to know. :D
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And you certainly wouldn't want to eat them.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I suppose if you're desperate you will eat anything. Did anyone see the TV series out last year where volunteers were put into slum surroundings to experience life in the slums in different decades in Victorian Britain? In one episode they cooked up pigs' feet, and teenagers amongst them were picking at the cooked meat and saying how nice it was to eat hot meat after an endless diet of bread and marge. In real life they wouldn't be seen dead eating it.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I watched that, and I agree with you. In wartime everybody was too hungry to be picky.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Yes I watched that, and I agree with you. In wartime everybody was too hungry to be picky.

Not according to my mother, who refused (and still refuses) to eat tripe.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( My mother was a wartume child in those East End slums and she can remember living in two rooms with her Mum and her Grannie. Cooking facilities? Nope. Once she was taken into care, the malnutirion sores on her legs still took 18 months to heal.

In the 1950s, with her country foster parents, she ate an awful lot of suet. Suet was used to bulk out both savoury and sweet dishes. The extra calories were important to people doing heavy physical work (and housework without any mod cons was pretty physcial, too). My foster-grands were whippet-thin.

:p Mum hates suet so much she vowed she'd never inflict it on us.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is an article on the news feed from USA TODAY this morning that has really set my teeth on edge it states that the English are so fascinated by Donald Trump that they are gambling heavily on what seem to be all aspects of his presidency and that the betting companies have books on all sorts of things concerning him!!! Fascinated? that is hardly the word I'd use over someone who this morning is threatening to 'tackle head on' the North Korea regime and who is riding roughshod over his own people and trying to strong arm and bully the rest of the world and it's leaders into jumping to the tune of his calling and obeying his will. Goodness me, no fascinated isn't the emotion I feel and I'm pretty sure it's not what most of us feel is it?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) All countries are egocentric.

What US media outlet is going to say to its US readership, You know what? Those Brits think you're mostly mad as a box of frogs and that Trump is an a*****e?

Of course, fascination isn't necessarily a good thing - think about how fascinating many drivers find a road traffic accident, so much so that they actually or nearly have one themselves, caused by rubber-necking.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    And how bloody rude to say that on the eve of a meeting with the Chinese prime minister too. If the Chinese pull their money out of America that will hurt. He's turning America into a laughing stock, bet Putin and his cabinet are rolling around like those wee aliens in the Smash adverts when they watch the news :D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fascination.....as in that of a rabbit caught in the headlights???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure