ESA for Disabled 16 Year Old?

Options
LocoLoco
LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 21 February 2018 at 3:22PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me out as I'm confusing myself :)

My son turns 16 next month and is in receipt of DLA (higher rate care, lower rate mobility). He should continue to be eligible for PIP as he has complex needs and all are expected to be lifelong.

A friend told me I should look into him claiming Income Support for himself when he turns 16, which I did and and it seems that now he would be claiming ESA. I understand that involves some tests and assessments regarding work capability. He's not currently receiving any kind of educational provision (we're waiting for the LA to sort out home tuition) although I am hoping he will be starting college in September (in a supported learning unit doing a course for people with learning difficulties to help prepare for adulthood).

I assume that him claiming ESA would make a difference to the amount of Child Tax Credits I claim on his behalf but I haven't been able to find anything yet that would tell me how much by.

Basically I'm just wondering whether it's best for him to claim ESA for himself or if it is easier to just carry on as we are.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful :)

Many thanks :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    See if you can get an appt. with CAB, although I'm sure others will be along to offer advice as well.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The answer seems to be "it depends."

https://contact.org.uk/benefits-at-16
    Would it be worth running some figures through entitled to to get a rough idea?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,020 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me out as I'm confusing myself :)

My son turns 16 next month and is in receipt of DLA (higher rate care, lower rate mobility). He should continue to be eligible for PIP as he has complex needs and all are expected to be lifelong.

A friend told me I should look into him claiming Income Support for himself when he turns 16, which I did and and it seems that now he would be claiming ESA. I understand that involves some tests and assessments regarding work capability. He's not currently receiving any kind of educational provision (we're waiting for the LA to sort out home tuition) although I am hoping he will be starting college in September (in a supported learning unit doing a course for people with learning difficulties to help prepare for adulthood).

I assume that him claiming ESA would make a difference to the amount of Child Tax Credits I claim on his behalf but I haven't been able to find anything yet that would tell me how much by.

Basically I'm just wondering whether it's best for him to claim ESA for himself or if it is easier to just carry on as we are.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful :)

Many thanks :)
    As long as he remains in full time non advanced education, including home tution then you'll be entitled to claim Child benefit and tax credits for him until he reaches his 20th birthday.

As you claim high rate care for him the you should also be claiming the severe disablity element of child tax credit.

He will not be able to claim ESA in his own right, while you're claiming those benefits.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,020 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    The answer seems to be "it depends."

https://contact.org.uk/benefits-at-16
    Would it be worth running some figures through entitled to to get a rough idea?

quoted from the link..

Many young disabled people in education or training have the option of claiming benefits in their own right.
    Depending on the postcode they live in they may be able to claim either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit. However if they claim either of these benefits, or if they claim Income Support, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or tax credits in their own right, you will lose any benefits you get for them as part of your family. This is the case even if they remain in full-time non-advanced education or approved training.
    Given this you will need to think carefully about whether you help them claim in their own right or continue claiming benefits for them as part of your family.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    You can continue to claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits until the day before he is twenty, if he is on an approved course - my son is on a Foundation Learning course for SEN. However, if you claim ESA for him, all child benefits will stop.

Generally, it is worth more money to continue to claim CB and CTC rather than ESA.

If you have not already been asked, you are likely to receive a letter from the DWP about whether he is to manage his own money or if you are to be his appointee. My son cannot manage money due to his severe learning disability, so I am his appointee.

Regarding ESA, once your son claims it (or you claim it on his behalf), he will be on an assessment rate for thirteen weeks. This is around £57 a week. At some point, it will be decided whether your son is to be in the support group or WRAG (work related activity group). If this takes longer than 13 weeks, any additional money will be backdated to week 13. You may be asked to provide sick notes (I think that they are now called fit noted).

Your son may be asked to attend an assessment, and if you are his appointee, you can attend and answer for him if necessary. Occasionally paper assessments are made.

If your son attends college, he may be able to apply for a grant from the college. Some colleges only give grants to those on both DLA or PIP and ESA (not any child related benefits). Once my son transfers to ESA later this year, he can apply for a grant from his college, which is £1000 a year. He will receive this in additon to PIP/DLA and ESA. I'm not sure if all colleges offer this, so it's worth asking if nothing is mentioned. There may be other criteria.

Income Support is usually only available to carers or to single parents with children under the age of 5, although everal years ago it was available to people with disabilities. It was replaced, though, by other benefits.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for so many replies so quickly, I do appreciate it :)

Venison, thank you for the CAB suggestion, I must admit I don't tend to think of them as our local branch closed down but it's good to have the reminder for future use and sometimes it all makes more sense when you sit down and go through it all, thank you :)

Elsien, thank you for the link, I'll bookmark that for later use. I did try Entitled To but I struggled to work out which way of doing it was best as trying to work out what he was entitled to as part of my household seemed to be beyond me, lol, but generally I find them a very good source of info, thank you for the link and the suggestion :)

Poppy, thank you, the info you provided seems to answer my question, I think from reading that we are better off financially sticking with child benefit and tax credits for the time being. I am hoping to get back to work if/when he goes to college so it might be a different story then but for now it seems sensible to stay as we are so thank you for that :)

Kingfisherblue, thank you, your son's foundation course sounds similar to the one I'm hoping my son will do and yes, from what both you and Poppy have said it would seem better to stick with the child benefit and child tax credits for now (although it feels odd claiming those for someone who is bigger than me! lol).

The DWP have sorted out the appointee thing for us. I did find the idea of the assessments for ESA off putting as he spends so much time being poked and prodded for various reasons so I'm relieved in a way that it doesn't look like the right route for us for now. I will look into college grants if/when we get notification that he's been accepted. Thank you for the info, I hope your son enjoys his course :)

Thank you again, everybody, it's a really big help and something else I can cross off my to do list now, thank you so much :)
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    LocoLoco, my youngest is the tallest - 6'3" and still growing! His brother (the one at college) is only 5'1". I still get CB and CTC for my youngest, even though he has been taller than me for a long time now :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure