Condensation Bedroom Windows

Options

Comments

• saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ok, so the report from the surveyor has come back with the following recommendations -

1) Updating bathroom and kitchen fan to automatic humidistat extractors
    and
    2) Installing passive vents in both bedrooms.

I have concerns about the passive vents, not knowing anything about them, in that will it create a draft, will it create a wind noise problem, and will it mean we will hear outside noises?

The house is located in a pretty elevated and exposed position, so we do get the wind regardless of the direction it blows, thus concerned about any drafts these passive vents might cause.

Also I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and regularly have to have a sleep during the day, and currently close the windows when i do to shut out the noise.... hence concerned about not being able to shut out the noise.

If any can if anyone can allay my fears on these passive vents, or forewarn me on any problems they can cause it would be much appreciated.
    I understand that installing them may help the condensation problem, but have fears they could just be creating others problems that will then need addressing.

Thank you
  • saintscouple
    Options
    Update:

Humidistat fans have been installed in the bathroom and kitchen, only been a few days but no improvement.
    The bathroom is worse, now have a musty, damp smell about the room, with the toilet cistern constantly dripping condensation.
    The kitchen we also have seen no improvement, condensation on the windows in the morning, sometime the full pane and the fan is situated above the window. installer also identified the wall above the window is damp and cold to touch.
    Bedroom windows condensation issues remain the same.

We have been told to run with it for 2-3 weeks and contact them in the problem remains.
    The loft has been inspected and deemed suitable for a piv unit should it be required.

At the end of the day we had them called in as we have condensation issues, they have changed the fans, and the issues not only remain, but have gotten worse... perhaps the fans need time to 'bed' in hence the 2-3 week wait to see what happens.

Boxes ticked in that we open the windows ajar during the day and keep the heating on at all times between 18-21c
  • lotteryman
    Options
    Hi,
    My daughter's flat has serious condensation issues and after a lot of research I installed a Positive Input Ventilator(PIV) unit in this year and it has cured the problem. Essentially this is a unit that fits into the ceiling in the hallway and takes air which it filters from the loft and circulates it around the house. This has the effect of pushing out humid air and keeping the whole house ventilated. It also has the added effect of improving the quality of the air. It is whisper quiet and easy to fit (some electrical work). They are made by Nuaire and cost around £250 (see i-sells.co.uk) As I say it has completely resolved the issue throughout my daughter's flat
    Hope this helps.

• saintscouple
    Options
    lotteryman wrote: »
    Hi,
    My daughter's flat has serious condensation issues and after a lot of research I installed a Positive Input Ventilator(PIV) unit in this year and it has cured the problem. Essentially this is a unit that fits into the ceiling in the hallway and takes air which it filters from the loft and circulates it around the house. This has the effect of pushing out humid air and keeping the whole house ventilated. It also has the added effect of improving the quality of the air. It is whisper quiet and easy to fit (some electrical work). They are made by Nuaire and cost around £250 (see i-sells.co.uk) As I say it has completely resolved the issue throughout my daughter's flat
    Hope this helps.

We are housing association tenants and have been asking for this system to be installed.
    They sent a condensation / mould contractor out called Airtech Environmental Services out to do a survey to which they have changed the fans in the bathroom and kitchen and we have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if conditions improve.
    Crazy thing is i can see the company is charging the housing association over £750 for these 2 fans incl installation...... and the bathroom inline pump they changed like for like where the old one was only 7 months old!
    We all know it would have been more cost effective just to install a piv unit. It's frustrating that they seems to be going round the houses and not dealing with the problem head-on..... the contractor has even examined our loft and deemed it 'perfect' for a piv unit installation!
    So frustrating.
  • lotteryman
    Options
    Hi,
    I suppose you need to keep plugging away at them and try to gather enough evidence to convince them. There is a lot of information on Nuaire.co.uk and if you look at forums you will find similar evidence.
    The crazy think is that the running costs (for the non-heat model) is about the cost of running a light bulb and you can get a model that reads humidity sensors.

Good luck with your challenge
  • saintscouple
    Options
    lotteryman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I suppose you need to keep plugging away at them and try to gather enough evidence to convince them. There is a lot of information on Nuaire.co.uk and if you look at forums you will find similar evidence.
    The crazy think is that the running costs (for the non-heat model) is about the cost of running a light bulb and you can get a model that reads humidity sensors.

Good luck with your challenge

Cheers,

Airtech have their own branded piv unit http://www.airtechenvironmental.co.uk/product/air-piv/ I have been looking at the Nuaire site, and the reviews of their units from Amazon, all very positive.

Perhaps the fans over the next 2-3 weeks will cure the condensation issue, and they just need time to 'bed' in, but the other thing that doesn't make sense to me is the fans are placed in the kitchen and bathroom, and yet we are told to keep these doors closed (which we have always done anyhow) so can't see how they increase ventilation in other rooms, i.e the bedrooms?

I just hope they will work and the issue doesn't drag on and on, will keep this thread updated for any future potential usefulness for anyone else.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We get the same problem in the front bedroom bay-window. Depending on how cold it is outside, I can use up to ten kitchen paper towel sheets.
    Fortunately we had the windowsill resealed otherwise the pools of water that collect would seep down into the wall!

Tried a couple of Unibond 360 airers - but - not a lot.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • saintscouple
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »
    We get the same problem in the front bedroom bay-window. Depending on how cold it is outside, I can use up to ten kitchen paper towel sheets.
    Fortunately we had the windowsill resealed otherwise the pools of water that collect would seep down into the wall!

Tried a couple of Unibond 360 airers - but - not a lot.

yeah we tried the unibond 360's, can't remember how long they said the tablets should work for, but ours would last less than a week! Thus something more sinister was at hand, hence we had the windows changed, and when we had new rads put in they had to put lager ones in as the survey concluded the installed ones were too small... but even after those major changes the condensation problems continue.
    One thing i have since read is that if insulation is put fully other the eaves in the loft, it could create the loft to sweat rather than have airflow like it should. Our condensation problems are mainly with the bedrooms windows, albeit the kitchen as well.
    The housing association haven't even been in the loft to see if that could be an issue, so i'll get up there at some point tomorrow to see if anything like that looks obvious to me.
    I find it disappointing the housing haven't even looked at these basic things, not even to see if there is sufficient insulation..... simply if i don't read up on these things and investigate myself they are not interested.
  • saintscouple
    Options
    Windows were put in earlier this year, yet this morning I noticed mould appearing on the kitchen window. And the installer of the fan said it is keeping the perfect environment!!

dws953.jpg
  • Shimmyhill
    Options
    We have condensation issues and have tried most things, running a dehumidifier does help but it’s noisy and uses plenty of electricity - our bedroom windows are always open overnight on the latch and this prevents condensation in that room.

We are getting a PIV system fitted next week, fingers crossed it will solve the issue and if so will be worth every penny.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure