Mystery cheques

Options
Hi, my father sadly passed away recently and I am trying to sort out his affairs. The bank printed off several years worth of bank statements to go through and I see he was writing fairly substantial cheques every month up till 2013.

I wondered is there any way I can find out who the cheques were made out to in case it was to an account I have not found yet? Maybe the cheques were written for some sort of service provided but it seems very out of character!

H x

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Hi, my father sadly passed away recently and I am trying to sort out his affairs. The bank printed off several years worth of bank statements to go through and I see he was writing fairly substantial cheques every month up till 2013.

I wondered is there any way I can find out who the cheques were made out to in case it was to an account I have not found yet? Maybe the cheques were written for some sort of service provided but it seems very out of character!

H x
    The only way is to ask the banks for the cancelled cheques. However it is unlikely to affect probate.
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2017 at 10:02PM
    Options
    You should be able to get copies of the cheques as they are usually microfiched when paid by the bank.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If they were gifts they will need further research.
  • Helpmeoutofthismess
    Options

It's only a small estate, no property, just a sticks and shares ISA. Are gifts only an issue for IHT?
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    When you say 'fairly substantial', what percentage of his bank balance, at the time, would it represent? He may have paid into a life insurance policy or similar.
    Have you conducted a search of 'lost/dormant' bank/building society accounts? The cheques may also have been paid into a savings account.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It's only a small estate, no property, just a sticks and shares ISA. Are gifts only an issue for IHT?

They form part of the estate if less than 7 years old so depends how much there is on how hard you look for gifts.
    If no where near the nil rate band and transfers/gifts from that far back are not going to take it over the prudent thing to do is not waist too much time accounting for every £ going out of accounts.
  • Helpmeoutofthismess
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    When you say 'fairly substantial', what percentage of his bank balance, at the time, would it represent? He may have paid into a life insurance policy or similar.
    Have you conducted a search of 'lost/dormant' bank/building society accounts? The cheques may also have been paid into a savings account.[/QUOTE

I guess my idea of fairly substantial is probably lower than most people's, it was around £300 a month. The payments were made nearly every month through 2012 and 2013, I will need to see if the bank are able to print of any further back. my dad seemed to do all of his business with one bank but it's a good idea to try the lost account search, I will definitely try that.

H x
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are the chequebook stubs not available?
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Unless the estate value is into IHT territory and there is evidence there are gifts then there is no poiint.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They form part of the estate if less than 7 years old so depends how much there is on how hard you look for gifts.
    If no where near the nil rate band and transfers/gifts from that far back are not going to take it over the prudent thing to do is not waist too much time accounting for every £ going out of accounts.

Unless the OPs father made any other such gifts in this period most if not all these payments would be covered by his annual £3000 allowance. If for example the payments started in Jan 12 and finished in Den 13 the whole lot would be covered by the 11-12, 12-13, and 13-14 allowances, so could be ignored for probate purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure