PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    You have your own burglar?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tend to treat you lot as if you know me IRL. It's a plain black fleece hat which one of my RL pals declared looked like a burglar's hat.............aren't explanations always more disappointing than the imaginings? :rotfl:

One of my neighbours used to be a burglar. He was detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure on account of it, and stopped being my neighbour on account of the sentence. Cheers, Madge, I owe ya one. Rumour mill sez he's back burgling again, so I expect he'll be going away for a short tax-payer funded break any time soon.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm.......

Bob - portent of things to come, high wind and lashing rain.

Roni
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tend to treat you lot as if you know me IRL. It's a plain black fleece hat which one of my RL pals declared looked like a burglar's hat.............aren't explanations always more disappointing than the imaginings? :rotfl:

TBH, given what we know about where you live, I wouldn't have been surprised if you had your own personal burglar. Far more likely than a butler, for example :p
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    TBH, given what we know about where you live, I wouldn't have been surprised if you had your own personal burglar. Far more likely than a butler, for example :p

The hat is all that remains of the former burglar? The rest is fertilising the new strawberry patch.
    The butler took one look at Nurse and fled :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nuatha wrote: »
    The hat is all that remains of the former burglar? The rest is fertilising the new strawberry patch.
    The butler took one look at Nurse and fled :)
    :p For a couple of years, I had the remainder of an earth berm, about 8 ft by 3ft, left over from when I took down the high side of the allotment and raked the earth sideways.

Only there was this little bit which couldn't be levelled for a couple of years because the strawberry bed was right where the levellings would need to go, so the project was postponed until the bed was moved.

Result was, I had what looked rather like a grave on my plot. With courgettes growing on top of it. A few passing gardeners used to ask nervously why it was there, to which I would deadpan that it was where I buried a neighbour who'd been annoying me.:rotfl:

The lottie neighbours did look a tad worried but I reassured them I meant neighbours from the flats, not them.

For the record, when I finally broke up the 'grave' it contained nothing more than a rather large and disgruntled buried toad.

So, you see, nuatha, you are closer to the truth than you knew!

PS The hat came brand new from a jumble sale for 10p.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Bob - portent of things to come, high wind and lashing rain.

I hope it doesn't mean I'm in for a bout of flatulence and incontinence. :D
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This made me laugh.

20141219_brave.jpg
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello SHTFers. Read this thread regularly, some informative and interesting stuff. Thought I'd run this by you lot as you are more than likely the ones to have thought about such things.

What do you think about keeping some cash under the mattress for some eventuality (I can think of quite a few from the Banks not actually honouring pledges if push comes to shove, some untoward nastiness occuring). Let's face it it is hardly beneficial to keep it in the bank these days what with these oppressive interest rates. Up to now money is in the bank with I think about £100ish usually around the house for unexpected outlays.

Anyway, I was thinking of keeping a wodge at home, not sure how much or what proportion of ones resources or if it should be a To Get You Through X amount of time, but I was thinking a fair bit. My dad didn't trust banks so kept all the families money in the house (not that there was ever much as we were not well off but goodness knows where, nobody ever discovered it).

What do you do? What do you think?

G
  • fiftyeighter_2
    Options
    When I get my pension on a Tuesday I just leave in the amount for Standing orders and withdraw the rest. With this I buy food, gas & electric meter. Then I put a small amount each week for birthdays, Xmas, emergencies, vet bills etc. after that there's not an awful lot left.
    I don't trust banks either plus I feel happy being able to see my money.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Hello SHTFers. Read this thread regularly, some informative and interesting stuff. Thought I'd run this by you lot as you are more than likely the ones to have thought about such things.

What do you think about keeping some cash under the mattress for some eventuality (I can think of quite a few from the Banks not actually honouring pledges if push comes to shove, some untoward nastiness occuring). Let's face it it is hardly beneficial to keep it in the bank these days what with these oppressive interest rates. Up to now money is in the bank with I think about £100ish usually around the house for unexpected outlays.

Anyway, I was thinking of keeping a wodge at home, not sure how much or what proportion of ones resources or if it should be a To Get You Through X amount of time, but I was thinking a fair bit. My dad didn't trust banks so kept all the families money in the house (not that there was ever much as we were not well off but goodness knows where, nobody ever discovered it).

What do you do? What do you think?

G
    Personally a mattress is not really too safe but still a lot safer than a bank. With the fraction of a percent that you would get if you kept it in the bank I would only keep a couple of thousand at most in the bank to cover a months expenses etc, and withdraw everything else and keep in safe places around your home.

The real risks right now are bail-ins. All the banks are technically insolvent if you use mark to market values for their assets like homes used for collateral. If you are debt free and only have a few thousand in the bank you might be fine re bail in. and only suffer minimal losses. Though considering derivative holders have first claim to your money and there are trillions of them outstanding then you may get absolutely nothing back from each bank. If there were a big crash of some sort that could cause big bank losses then the credit default swaps outstanding could wipe one bank after another out. At the moment the $500 billion lent to frackers is considered very vulnerable but this sum might have been collateralised and relent out as part of a multi trillion loan bundle which could mean even higher losses for someone out there.

Also get the money out in small amounts, regularly say £50 every time you spend anything at a store via cashback. Banks have been known to be obstructive when it comes to larger sums being requested in branch.

If you can get a proper fire proof cash safe. These are rated for several thousand pounds for losses but you will need to tell your insurer and possibly keep a withdrawal certificate for confirmation of its existence. You will need to be aware of risks that could hit at home. Fire being the most obvious. If you live alone then lots of safe cans are perfect, but just remember where they all are. Keep a list in a safe place (not indoors) with a will incase you die so family members can find them, rather than throw out your stash along with the mattress. In the end though you will not be able to get full coverage re insurance for money at home but if your real risks is bail in then the risks of keeping money at home is at a lower risk than that from a bail in.

Also safe deposit boxes are not fully safe either.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure