URGH!!!!!Help please

Options
Hi

We have been with Virgin for a number of years, we have a media package with them, and have had no problem with them what so ever until now. For two weeks we have had no tv, internet or phone, apparently they have a 'serious problem', which I get when I do ring up and get through to an actual person to complain, they can only apologise profusely saying they are having a lot of complaints and say to keep checking the status, which keeps moving the date and time forward all the time when it fails to be fixed, oh and they say we will be companstated.

This is getting beyond a joke now and although we have got a freesat built in tv, thank god!!!. This is soooo frustrating, as we went with virgin mainly for there Tivo box which lets you watch catchup, we do often, and is a PRR which lets us record numberous programmes of virgin, which comes in really handy we found. Now though because of this trouble I want to swith but who too!!? they seem as bad as each other, I thought Sky, but I have head bad reviews of them and thier slow broad, I have looked at several packages but alas virgin seems the best for broadband, I have even though if I can get a box that incorporates both catch up and is a PPR recorder, like the Tivo box, I might be able to just concerntrate on broadband and the phone. I really need some much needed advice, as I don't know whether to sit it out or what package to go to if I do, please any advice greatly appreciate?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you still in contract with virgin ?

Sky piggy back BT wholesale product so unless they excessively throttle there should be no difference . Sky no longer provide services to customers who don't meet minimum line speed requirements , currently 2 meg .
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your Virgin issues should be fixed before Sky can install a dish.

All companies get bad reviews (you're giving Virgin one right now), I've seen plenty where Virgins BB is slaughtered as being very slow due to oversubscription in the area. Sky don't have "slow" broadband problems generally. They also don't throttle as far as I'm aware.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2018 at 10:47AM
    Options
    The first step in seeking an alternative ISP is to use speed predictors to determine what kind of options you have for ADSL or Fibre at your address.

Once you know what's available from ISPs using BT Openreach technology (BT, Sky, Plusnet, Talktalk, Vodafone, EE), you can make a judgement as to whether there is a better option.

Also look at which channels you use, and how you use them to see whether you will want a full channel listing (as you have now) which would point you in the direction of Sky, or a small number of channels, in which case one of the Freeview-based options might work, possibly with a pay TV add-on.

The MSE comparison tool might be able to help:-

Broadband Unbundled

edit: One thing that I see often on these forums is ex-Virgin consistently over-estimating their broadband speed requirements, because of the high speeds available from VM. Other providers either do not have or do not sell much in the 80Mbps+ area. That's because it's overkill for most households.

30Mps+ will be sufficient for all but the largest households, including streaming of HD video.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Your Virgin issues should be fixed before Sky can install a dish.

All companies get bad reviews (you're giving Virgin one right now), I've seen plenty where Virgins BB is slaughtered as being very slow due to oversubscription in the area. Sky don't have "slow" broadband problems generally. They also don't throttle as far as I'm aware.

Why the two are unconnected and the OP states they have Freesat anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Why the two are unconnected and the OP states they have Freesat anyway.

Yep, I missed the Freesat reference but then again Sky will need to fit a new LNB anyway as they'll be on the Q system which means they won't be able to use the TV's builtin Freesat in the future easily. So there still would be a delay. The satellite feed they have may even only be one feed rather than two in case they can source their own HD+ box.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I missed the Freesat reference but then again Sky will need to fit a new LNB anyway as they'll be on the Q system which means they won't be able to use the TV's builtin Freesat in the future easily. So there still would be a delay. The satellite feed they have may even only be one feed rather than two in case they can source their own HD+ box.

If the OP informs Sky before the install that they have Freesat, the Sky installer can install a Sky Hybrid LNB with will work with both Sky Q and Freesat. Saves a lot of hassle later on.
  • Sammyg
    Sammyg Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I am in contact with virgin Browntoe, in fact I phoned them yesterday to check on this problem and was told that theirs was a break in a cable, anyway all on again.

We currently are getting the mix bundle,whichincludes their Virgin VIVID 100 Optical Fibre broadband, 130+ channels with their old Tivo box and talk weekends.

It seems reading these replies Sky doesn!!!8217;t seem a bad choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure