Small Business Rates as a Charity

Options
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience as a small business but also a charity in a property with RV less than £12,000 per annum.

Our Charity has one property only, a retail shop with community space and office above. Its RV is £7000 per annum.
I was pleased when in 2017 the GOV.uk confirmed that for Small business that had a property with RV less than £12000PA would pay nil rates.

A saga, that is still on-going has begun!

When we received a Business rates bill from Rugby Borough Council for 20% levy as opposed to a Nil bill, I wrote to point out the GOV.UK information that I thought was unequivocal, and clear.
To my surprise I have been informed not. We must still pay 20% of the RV, as a Charitable entity, when our immediate neighbour, also a retailer but not a charity pays NIL!

Since being informed we have asked not to be considered as a Charity for the purpose of billing (refused), and advised that we must go through a process of requesting an additional Discretionary rate relief by application to the LA.

This application went to them in November 2017, and they are now ignoring my emails, despite me emailing the department Manager, the Chief executive and the local MP!

Does anyone else have any experience of this, The situation seems a nonsense, I have put forward the case that the interpretation is perverse, and that if the 20% rate is to be applied its more logically applied to Nil rather than the RV.

Help!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you members of NCVO, AFVS or WCAVA? (I got that by googling Rugby voluntary services council ...)

I'd start with the latter and work backwards to get local advice. if this is happening routinely in Rugby, hopefully you won't be alone in arguing the case!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • RobSaunders1973
    Options
    Thank you Sue!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business