Balfour Beatty, Sports Direct, GlaxoSmithKline......good long term investments?

Options
I've recently purchased shares in these three companies because I felt I was woefully underexposed in the sectors they operated in....

What do the MSE sages think about the medium-long term prospects of these companies?

Are there any companies that are more prosperous than the three I've invested in?
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    You may have missed it - GSK thread here the other day:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5018268

I hold Sports Direct - held SPD since 2010, no divi but share price growth has more than made up for it. I also topped up recently when the SP went down. Ashley has done a U turn on him being included in the company staff share scheme, and as he holds about 58% of the stock I doubt he will sell anymore shares himself, which may lead to a divi being paid as he would earn that way too (at last results they said no sign of a divi as they wanted to use the funds to expand/make acquisitions instead).
    Recently they announced future store openings in Oz and New Zealand, and they have space to expand their operations in Europe. Also rumours say the spat between SPD and Adidas is coming to a positive end (Ashley met with Adidas CEO recently).
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    Ifts wrote: »
    You may have missed it - GSK thread here the other day:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5018268

I hold Sports Direct - held SPD since 2010, no divi but share price growth has more than made up for it. I also topped up recently when the SP went down. Ashley has done a U turn on him being included in the company staff share scheme, and as he holds about 58% of the stock I doubt he will sell anymore shares himself, which may lead to a divi being paid as he would earn that way too (at last results they said no sign of a divi as they wanted to use the funds to expand/make acquisitions instead).
    Recently they announced future store openings in Oz and New Zealand, and they have space to expand their operations in Europe. Also rumours say the spat between SPD and Adidas is coming to a positive end (Ashley met with Adidas CEO recently).

It was only a few days ago that I purchased the shares.....

The reason was the uncertainty surrounding the companies, the bribery trial in China, Ashley messing around with his personal dividend and Balfour's two profit warnings in the last few months.....

I'm buying them for the long term and I think that GSK and SPD are the two market leaders in their field......
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure