Some lorries could be banned from London because of danger to cyclists.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you think about it the issue does seem to be cyclists.

Remove cyclists and they wont be there to be put at risk and pedestrians are not at risk from cyclists also.

WIN WIN???

Ban lorries and pedestrians can still get injured from cyclists. Figures all seem to be manipulated to make veichles or cylists to be the baddies depending on the site. I wonder what the true figures are?

Last lot of data I saw from RoSPA suggested an average of about 1 pedestrian every 2 years is killed by a bike, cars kill hundreds, if not thousands
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see a problem with urban lorries having higher visibility levels. It's positive action that will help all road users from pedestrians to car drivers. And it's not an overnight ban and can easily be achieved by firms when they defleet. Even if you can't defleet you can fit doors with bottom glass panels.

I do however wish cyclists would do more in helping with safety on urban streets by losing the militancy in protesting over signs which said "Do not pass this vehicle on the inside" because they didn't like the "Do not" part of the instruction. Fact is, if the signs said "Do not" then far more cyclists would be alive.
    The man without a signature.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Last lot of data I saw from RoSPA suggested an average of about 1 pedestrian every 2 years is killed by a bike, cars kill hundreds, if not thousands

...which is why police will always put more time and effort (scarce resources permitting) to deal with those who have the potential to cause most harm.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Buses are a similar size to non articulated HGVs but the drivers sit lower and have much better visibility. How does their accident rate compare to HGVs?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    I do however wish cyclists would do more in helping with safety on urban streets by losing the militancy in protesting over signs which said "Do not pass this vehicle on the inside" because they didn't like the "Do not" part of the instruction. Fact is, if the signs said "Do not" then far more cyclists would be alive.

It's not really appropriate for militant-minded motorists to put up signs telling other road users what to do. Risky behaviour on the road should be prohibited by law, not militant signs.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Buses are a similar size to non articulated HGVs but the drivers sit lower and have much better visibility. How does their accident rate compare to HGVs?
    I'd hope it would be better, but I don't know. The stats would be very difficult to separate.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Cloudydaze
    Cloudydaze Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ecCdoiWOw

You could put some 'professional' drivers in a glass box and they still wouldn't see a cyclist.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cycling up the inside of lorries / buses when they're moving, **** that

I wait or go around the right, silly sign on the lorry or not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income