Three

Options
I'm aware I probably have no rights with the following issue but just curious on others thoughts other than "You idiot".

So I have been with Three for many years, I'm technically out of contract as the 2 year contract is long up and I've just never bothered to sort out a new one.

Because the account is quite old, back when going over 1GB wasn't ever going to happen, it was still on a network limit of just over 1GB. I got a new sim free phone recently and because the camera is much better I've been taking lots of photos and sending them to friends. Also the odd YouTube stream but not for very long, only the odd 10-15mins here or there. However, I realise the YouTube streams were HD so will have hit the 1GB quite quick.

I got a text warning me yesterday but didn't hear it, that I was getting close. Then when I hit the limit the charges started to happen. Got hit with a few before I noticed the text messages at which point I disabled data. However, I note on the message it says "check your usage free at My3". So I go to My3 on the mobile via WIFI. It says "Why not use the app instead". So I download it and try to set it up. But no, it only works with mobile data. So I turn that back on to quickly setup and then obviously get charged again.

I'm visiting the Three store today to question this and change my data plan. Surely if their site adviced me to use the phone app instead, then didn't warn me that it only works with mobile data at which point I'd be charged, surely as a "good will gesture" they could drop those charges they hit me with yesterday.

We'll see what they say later.

Comments

• marliepanda
    Options
    The text warned you that you were close. Using data at the point of the text was possible as you werent at your limit.

You chose to switch it back on when you knew you were over the limit.

Does your phone/3 not allow you to cap it completely so you cant go over. o2 do.

They may refund it, they may not, but you wont get it on the basis of you reading a text too late...
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Phone is new and I've never come close to the limit before so never set the limit. But yeah. The texts were all out of order as well, so would say "You've spent £44.45", the next text it said the full amount was £19.95

I'll see what they say. I'll get them to put a cap lock on as well so even if wanted to, couldn't go over the limit.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may need to use mobile data in the first place to set up the app, i know Vodafone does it that way then you can use the wifi aferwards
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    I got a text warning me yesterday but didn't hear it, that I was getting close.

Did you not see the message, as you continued to use the phone?

Your phone should have an app that allows you to self limit the amount of data you can use. Get it set up now!
  • joeypesci
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »
    It may need to use mobile data in the first place to set up the app, i know Vodafone does it that way then you can use the wifi aferwards

Unfortunately not it only works on mobile data. I believe it uses your account details to automatically log you in. If it was on WIFI it would then need login details which aren't an option. It just says its failed to connect and that requires mobile data.

An Update

The Three store couldn't do anything about the charges as they couldn't even see them. I signed up for the 30GB data plan and it's only 12 months so if I don't get near that I'll go on a cheaper and lower one next year. The store advised me to contact customer service to sort out the extra charge issue.

I started recording software up on the phone to record the call in case I needed it.

So I called them up and said my piece. I was polite and told them I've been out of contract for years, been with them since 2008 so I've been loyal and never gone over before. The guy said he couldn't do anything about it, mainly due to not being authorised but also said Three normally won't drop those fees. I told them in that's the case, considering I've been with them for so many years, I'll cancel the 12 month contract I've just signed up to under the calling off period, and I'll just go with another provider.

He said he'd put be through to someone who might be able to help. A nice lady aswered and I explained the history. She said she was limited what she could remove but she'll speak to someone else (it had hit £100 extra charge. Appears my old tariff was so old the charges were stupid amounts). She came back and said because I'd been with them so long and it was the first time, they'd remove all charges. So all good. I also asked her, because the new contract doesn't start for another few days, if they can put a limit on the old traffif which she's done.

I then informed her as they warn us they record the calls when we ring, that I'd recorded my call. She said OK but that she doesn't give permissions for it to be used elsewhere. I said OK.

Then got off the phone and thought "is that right, can she object?" appears under RIPA she can. I can use the call for my own use, but if the person at the other end doesn't give concent for it to be used elsewhere, then it can't be used. Unless its deemed of public interest. Interesting.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You shouldn't be charged for accessing the my3 app or their website. I've been dealing with 3 on mobile data packages for years and when setting up new devices it's always been free to access their own services. Just think if you were on PAYG you wouldn't be able to top up if you couldn't access their services free
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    agree, using the 3 app does not use any of your data allowance and your not charged for it.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    With my 3 tariff (Advanced SIM contract) I have a hard cap, I have to buy an additional data bundle if I run out. Pretty sure this was setup as standard.
  • joeypesci
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    agree, using the 3 app does not use any of your data allowance and your not charged for it.

But as soon as I used it, I got another text message that I'd been charged.

Anyway, they've dropped all those charges now so all OK.

And the people at Three's end wouldn't say "the My3 app doesn't charge". When I mentioned to the last agent "If I use the My3 app now, I assume I'll get charge again". She said "Probably".
  • 85_East
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    But as soon as I used it, I got another text message that I'd been charged.

Anyway, they've dropped all those charges now so all OK.

And the people at Three's end wouldn't say "the My3 app doesn't charge". When I mentioned to the last agent "If I use the My3 app now, I assume I'll get charge again". She said "Probably".

Some of the links from within the app send you through to three's website on the phone's browser- or at least they did when I last tried to see new sim plans with the app. I suspect this may be when you start to incur data charges
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure