Options
13»

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    myrtle15 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Keep up with your claims for Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins storecards! Santander have just upheld my complaint and are refunding me £4855

My complaint was based on the fact that I was offered the storecards in order to receive 10% or 20% off the purchases at the sales tillpoint.

Santander say they have reconstructed my account prior to their full transactional records from 2005, therefore an averaged of the total figures has been calculated to reach their refund figure.

Myrtle

Well done for pursuing it, Myrtle.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Sunshine62
    Options
    Lisa0812 wrote: »
    Hi

Found out this morning that I am getting £1,145.67 from Santander on my old (1998) Debenhams card.

Sent me the copy of form with ticked box etc, but I sent evidence from HMRC of not working at the time and have had a result.

Lisa! I have tried to PM you but nothing is going through (or is it!) Big News!!!!!
    Sunshine
  • Sunshine62
    Sunshine62 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 25 October 2016 at 3:02PM
    Options
    OVER £10K TO BE REMITTED BY SANTANDER!!

Debenhams card from June 1994 , Paid off in 2003 claimed from Santander £10K

I'd been banging on to my sister about claiming back her PPI since a successful reclaim of Barclays Additions on my part last year.

She eventually wrote to Santander in February and had a Reject letter back in April. Due to circumstances she dragged her feet but I was worrying about a six month clause.... Anyway I got hold of the letter and noticed there was a paragraph almost at the end that referred to employment at the time of taking the policy out. It turns out the box was ticked but definitely not by her, the seller had gigantic writing and it was clearly them.....they had not asked ANY pertinent questions other than did she have a credit card.....they never asked if she was in employment. She had tried to cancel it a number of times but they insisted that her husband was covered....despite him not being on the card and despite the fact she could never have claimed unemploymnent as she was a carer.

In the end it was quite simple. Santander said if she could prove that she was not employed at the outset they would look again. She contacted HMRC (takes 40 days for results) and at the same time contacted Santander to ask them to reopen the case. as she was contacting HMRC in order to prove non employment. Didn't have to wait long, that was beginning of October, she had a letter this morning offering full payment.......which in full was over £10K minus tax (which needs to be reclaimed) so currently over £9K ! Cannot remember to exact breakdown but she paid about £1400 in PPI so they have had to stump up much more for their ill-gotten gains!

Thank you for all the help and advice with Debenhams/Santander that spurred me on to help my sister. feels like a massive win....even though its not mine!!!
    Sunshine
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations to your sister, she was very lucky.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Jos78
    Options
    Hiya All, Congratulations on your success. I wonder if anyone has any advice or information for me. So I have been battling for sometime with trying to find out who I should be contacting about reclaiming my PPI on my Dorthy Perkins or Asda store cards. Eventually it was confirmed that it was now Santander, after some time passed I contacted the Ombudsman who after a few weeks explained to me that there was nothing that they could do as they were before 2002. I asked if the fact that one of the applications had been ticked (not by myself) as I was working and I was not, was the reason and i was told that it is because it was before 2002 and at that point card providers did not have to follow certain regulations. Obviously I was annoyed but felt that I had to accept it. Then last month i received two letters from Santander asking for my bank details because there has been a new ruling that will take effect on or after March 2017. What does this mean? and if anyone knows if there is another way to get this ppi refund please let me know. It just seems so unfair.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Are you still awaiting the final response from Santander?

[Yes, Santander (bank dealing with a lot of this historic liability) > FOS (Ombudsman) > Genworth (the underwriter) is currently the route proving successful for those reclaiming PPI payments + 8% interest pa from the then Arcadia Group of stores which included Debenhams, TopMan, Dorothy Perkins, etc]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Jos78
    Options
    Santander originally said that they did not have record of these accounts as it was such a long time ago (2001). I was then told by the FOS (August 2016), that there was nothing that could be done as it was before 2002, I thought that was it. It was in October '16 that I got a letter from Santander requesting my bank details and that got me thinking "Don't give up".
    OK so I'll contact Genworth and hopefully fingers crossed I'll get some good news.
    I'll keep you all posted. :)
  • Sunshine62
    Options
    How are you doing Jos..... my sisters was from 1995 (Debenhams) and paid off much later after 2002 She took the Genworth route who directed it on her behalf to Santander......its definitely not too late....especially if you can prove you were not working but they added PPI nevertheless.
    Sunshine
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunshine62 wrote: »
    How are you doing Jos..... my sisters was from 1995 (Debenhams) and paid off much later after 2002 She took the Genworth route who directed it on her behalf to Santander......its definitely not too late....especially if you can prove you were not working but they added PPI nevertheless.

It's not so much of a matter of age of complaint if the underwriter agrees to take responsibility but rather if there are no records no-one can prove what was paid and thus what PPI was needed. If a store card was only used once or twice (especially if it was paid off in full each month) then there is little PPI to refund. I had a HoF store card which I took out for an initial discount, I paid off the balance in full and don't think I ever used it again unless they were offering a discount so even if I had PPI, I would never have paid anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure