Anyone tried the Eco Egg?

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    keith_r59 wrote: »
    See post #4 for a link to numerous customer reviews.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2011/08/guest-comment-beware-dodgy-online-product-reviews?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_campaign=box

The word FAB comes up a lot!;)

I might be cynical, but I do have reservations about people who join MSE purely to post a great review on a product.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »

I might be cynical, but I do have reservations about people who join MSE purely to post a great review on a product.
    well if that's the case, i've been a sleeper cell for the ecoegg for 6 years lol
    :happyhear
  • keith_r59
    keith_r59 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2011/08/guest-comment-beware-dodgy-online-product-reviews?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_campaign=box

The word FAB comes up a lot!;)

There are also a lot of negative reviews on that well known TV shopping website and, as I personally have no view one way or another on the product as I have never used it, I thought it would be helpful to the person asking the question.

As always, I will leave it up to each individual to determine whether the product is something they would find useful or not and as it gives a 30-day money back guarantee I think the risk is minimal if they want to try it for themselves.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I used my eco-egg for the first time this morning a load of towels and a duvet cover, everything seems clean its out blowing on the line at the moment , I'll come back when they've dried as I want to see if the towels are soft or hard when they dry.. so far it seems ok.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A question to ask youself:

If all these gizmos are that good at: washing clothes, getting more mpg out of your car, stopping your pipes furring up, etc, etc - why haven't Bosch, Ford, Worcester bought the "patent" (IF one actually exists ) and now sell it on at an inflated price with their washing machines/cars/boilers/etc/etc ?

I refer you to the slightly dodgy adverts for Calgon on certain domestic appliances - NOT because the stuff does what it claims and the washing machine manufacturer is telling you this, but because Calgon pay the manufacturer to have the labels stuck on ....................
  • grahamc2003
    Options
    robknight wrote: »
    [ I have to stress that the Ecoegg is VERY different - it has an active ingredient, which is why it cleans so much better than the others - and we have independent scientific reports from an English product test house to prove it does.

I'd be interested in seeing any scientific reports on the egg, could you post a reference to them please?
  • JenR8
    JenR8 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I have used ecoballs for years (and added the refill granuals) and find them very satisfactory. I put a little lavender oil in the water softener compartment as you are not supposed to use softener with them, and it keeps the wash fresh. I use laundry liquid with whites, or if the wash is not going to be dry quickly (maybe in winter). They save money and do the job.
  • MSE_Investigator
    MSE_Investigator Posts: 39 Community Admin
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Rob Knight and I am a Director of Ecoegg Ltd. I came across this discussion and thought I would say hi. I'm a big fan of Martin and MSE and was really pleased to see our product being discussed.

My partner and I spent 3 years developing the Ecoegg, which went on sale last September.

The response since then has been amazing and the number of units sold has completely blown us away. Our belief in the product seems to be really paying off.

However, there are some people who write this product category off. And, for the most part, they are right to do so. The "wash ball" products up to now have been generally very cheap and nasty imports from China. However, I have to stress that our product is VERY different - it has an active ingredient, which is why it cleans so much better than the others - and we have independent scientific reports from an English product test house to prove it does. Please see http://www.ecoeggonline.com/lab%20report.pdf

Best,

Rob.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Rob Knight and I am a Director of Ecoegg Ltd. I came across this discussion and thought I would say hi. I'm a big fan of Martin and MSE and was really pleased to see our product being discussed.

My partner and I spent 3 years developing the Ecoegg, which went on sale last September.

The response since then has been amazing and the number of units sold has completely blown us away. Our belief in the product seems to be really paying off.

However, there are some people who write this product category off. And, for the most part, they are right to do so. The "wash ball" products up to now have been generally very cheap and nasty imports from China. However, I have to stress that our product is VERY different - it has an active ingredient, which is why it cleans so much better than the others - and we have independent scientific reports from an English product test house to prove it does. Please see http://www.ecoeggonline.com/lab%20report.pdf

Best,

Rob.
    Hi Rob

Thanks for the feedback on the test regime, perhaps you could indulge us a little further by addressing the following .....

Considering that the tests were conducted to compare a multi-use product with two single use alternatives there is an obvious issue of degradation of the effectiveness of the ecoegg over time.

Is there similar test data available which evaluates the product over the 72 washes before top-up and over an extended period comprising multiple top-ups ? ..... This would be the only way to really compare the products ....

Another issue would be the product submitted for testing .... were they selected at random from standard production line stock by the independent test labs, or were they, as intimated by the test documentation, samples selected and supplied for testing by the manufacturer ?

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I actually have yet to see a single explanation of how wash balls work (this include the explanation for the Ecoegg on the site linked) that makes any sense. They're either extremely vague and hard to define as more than "it works!" padded out with science-like words scattered throughout, or they just make up lots of nonsense about water/oxygen that I'm quite certain is wrong. Oxygen as far as I'm concerned has no detergent like properties, it has modest solubility in water or oil and certainly won't help the two bind to each other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure