eviction looming

Options
13»

Comments

• dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    ouch.
    The only way I can think is to get a loan. Can anyone reccommend a company?
    Unlike others, I won't advise you not to get a loan. An unsecured debt of £1700 isn't as likely to get you evicted as £1700 rent arrears. Clearing the arrears with an unsecured loan makes total sense.

That said - do you rate your chances of actually getting a loan? Forgive me, but I think you wouldn't even have posted if you could. The clock is ticking, we wouldn't want you to waste time chasing after a loan you're not going to get, just to end up evicted anyway. It's much more important to speak to the CAB or Shelter first.
    I am not entitled to any benefits as I am working, and when I was out of work my partner was still around so I wasn't entitled then either.
    Have you checked to see if you qualify for Child Tax Credit?

Jules says ...
    I don't understand why this homeless officer was so unhelpful, they help thousands of people in situations like yourself every week.
    I hate to shatter Jules' illusions, but I think that's a myth, propagated by papers like the Daily Mail. I think that Shelter is a much more reliable source of information on housing and homelessness.
    i am being pushed from pillar to post here. i understand that london is hopelessly overpopulated and that they probably already have someone lined up to 'jump in my grave' so to speak
    Don't blame yourself! Don't let anyone convince you that the whole of London's problems are singularly down to you - because they're not. Take no bull.
    I was paying this weekly as I get paid weekly, and I was short one week when I had to pay for my TV license (have now set it up to be paid monthly by dd before anyone asks) as mine had expired and my mum said they were doing a blitz on the area.
    Whoops. It's too late now but ... I would have advised against paying the TV licence that week. Technically, you only need a TV licence if you watch or tape stuff on the telly. You don't need a licence just to hoard TV and video equipment - and you don't need a licence to watch movies or play games that you've rented or bought, or watch programmes that you taped before your licence ran out.

But the TV Licencing authorities use heavy-handed tactics with anyone who doesn't have an up to date licence or not. They don't seem to care whether you're breaking the law or not, they still try to intimidate you either way. I'm sorry this has caused you to break the judge's order on your rent.

Fran says ...
    If you can drop in and wait, you will have to take time off work if necessary and sit in the queue. It's too important.
    I agree with that totally. Take your child along to the CAB too, and save money on the child care costs. If your employer is inflexible, then phone in sick.

traf says ...
    It is still possible to stop this even though you have defaulted on the possession notice ...............
    That's true. Just because you have the possession order from the court with the date, doesn't mean that the bailiffs are going to turn up out of the blue on that day. Unless I'm much mistaken, the council has to apply to the court again to enforce the possession order - which means, you'll get at least 24 hours notice of the time that the bailiffs will come. (Check with Shelter on this one, I might be wrong.)
    In retrospect I should have done something about this a long time ago, but I did what so many people do, buried my head in the sand and hoped it would go away.
    I respect that - but I'd advise against talking like that to the council, just in case they can use it against you somehow.

I think your best chance would be to make sure the council have done everything by the book - because they haven't, and you appeal, then the court will reject their enforcement attempts, and you can stay a bit longer. Don't worry, the CAB should guide you through the process. That's why it's so important to see the CAB as soon as you can. Don't try to negotiate with the council until you have spoken with an independent trained advisor.

Shelter line: 0808 800 4444, for free housing and homelessness advice.
    :p
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ouch.

Unlike others, I won't advise you not to get a loan. An unsecured debt of £1700 isn't as likely to get you evicted as £1700 rent arrears. Clearing the arrears with an unsecured loan makes total sense.

But she doesn't have to get a loan - with help she can sort it out. Why go into more debt - is that good advice?

Whoops. It's too late now but ... I would have advised against paying the TV licence that week. Technically, you only need a TV licence if you watch or tape stuff on the telly. You don't need a licence just to hoard TV and video equipment - and you don't need a licence to watch movies or play games that you've rented or bought, or watch programmes that you taped before your licence ran out.

TV licence

From the above website:-
    Do I need a licence?
    If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

Presumably she has a licence in order to watch TV not hoard equipment.
    That's true. Just because you have the possession order from the court with the date, doesn't mean that the bailiffs are going to turn up out of the blue on that day. Unless I'm much mistaken, the council has to apply to the court again to enforce the possession order - which means, you'll get at least 24 hours notice of the time that the bailiffs will come. (Check with Shelter on this one, I might be wrong.)

If you re-read the original post you'll see that she already has an eviction date. In a later post she says that she had already been to court and defaulted. So yes, it does mean that the bailiffs will turn out if it's not sorted out. Hopefully with the help and advice she gets this won't happen.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Today (Friday) is normally the day when MPs have their constituency surgeries. Have you thought about going to see your MP or local councillor. You will find that these people can have a lot of influence. For example, a letter or a phonecall from an MP goes straight to the top and things tend to get done quite quickly as they can make life quite difficult for housing managers etc if they want to.
    I tried to explain that I am working and that I have a 3 year old that has no-one else, she said that I must have a friend that can take me, and that social services will look after my daughter if i 'can't cope' with her anymore.

What a !!!!!!! I think that comment about social services especially is totally out of order.
    This woman is dealing with a public organisation. That is the type of comment that one would expect to hear from some shadowy debt collection agency.
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    What a pregnant dog!

In this case, I thought b1tch was quite an appropriate comment - but the software didn't!
  • XXJULESXX
    Options
    Whenever I said earlier that Homeless Officers help thousands of people in situations like this every week, I was basing my comment on the work I have seen our Homeless Officer succeed in. I work in Welfare Benefits with a team of Welfare Benefit Officers who advise on predicaments like this every week, one of whom is a Homeless Officer. All of them give out advice and intervene with problems which aren't resolvable over the telephone and require further action. Our Homeless Officer receives details from Housing Agencies, daily, of tenents about to be evicted and his role requires him to step in, whatever the situation, to halt the proceedings and liase with the tenants and relevant authorities to come to some sort of repayment agreement, to allow them to stay in their homes.

I advised clair to contact her Homeless Officer or Welfare Benefits Dept as I have seen their success rate with my own eyes. However, I regret the authorities she's dealing with in this case are obviously not as sympathetic.

I hope she is able to resolve this matter and finally put it all behind her.
  • lazylins
    lazylins Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    hi,
    i know i might not be much help, but thought id tell you that iam in same position, (well nearly) i have been served my notice of seeking possesion and have till nov 22nd to pay up. i cant pay either, but am trying my damned hardest to find cash. i have two babys also.

iam sure they cant make you homeless, i have been on the homeless register when pregnant and was found this home straight away. although ive nearly lost it a few times, my council housing authority have to rehome me, even if they throw me out, bit weird, but iam sure yours does the same

i really sympathise cause its an awfull position to be in especially if you have made it your home, and i hope every thing goes ok for you.
  • chugalug
    chugalug Posts: 969 Forumite
    Options
    Please, please, please dont think that if you are evicted for rent arrears you will definately be rehoused. The Local Authority can find you intentionally homeless and have no duty to rehouse you. You would then have to find your own accommodation. Of course where you are in the country determines how strictly the LA adhere to the letter of the law or how strictly they apply the intentionally homeless criteria. If you have received a possession order and have to pay by the 22 then take advice now. It is not too late to apply for a stay with an offer to pay the arrears off weekly. I see too many people who believe they have to be rehoused if they have children - its not true. For anyone in this situation TAKE IMMEDIATE INDEPENDENT ADVICE FROM SHELTER OR CAB. Even if things have got as far as clairbing's its still not too late but you must take action. Good luck.
    ~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lazylins,

Yes, please do as chugalug says before it's too late and you get evicted. You say you've "nearly lost it a few times" (your home). Shouldn't you be sorting out the cause of why this is happening so you don't have to live on a knife-edge all the time and you can settle into your home properly? If you are on Housing Benefit it can be paid direct to your landlord. If you are working, you should really be paying your rent first as a priority. A visit to the CAB would be a good idea and tell them your overall situation so this doesn't occur again.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    anyone know how clair the original poster is getting on.... would hope its better news
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport