PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What if the mortgage application fails/is different?

Options
I'm looking to purchase my first home and calculating the numbers.

Currently, I'm assuming I'll receive the amount that was stated in my mortgage in principle. I had this done a few months ago and I'm planning to get another one so say I use that figure from my new application.

1. Is it normal to make an offer for a house, assuming I'll receiving a mortgage for that amount?

2. What happens if the offer is accepted but then the mortgage application fails?

3. What happens if the offer is accepted but then the mortgage application tells me I can borrow significantly less, and as a result I can't offer to purchase the house?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dhokes wrote: »
    1. Is it normal to make an offer for a house, assuming I'll receiving a mortgage for that amount?
    Some people make offers on this basis, some work out for themselves what they feel they can afford and affor only that amount.

2. What happens if the offer is accepted but then the mortgage application fails?
    You either find the money elsewhere, or pull out of the purchase.

3. What happens if the offer is accepted but then the mortgage application tells me I can borrow significantly less, and as a result I can't offer to purchase the house?
    You either find the money elsewhere, reduce your offer, or pull out of the purchase.
  • dhokes
    dhokes Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    You either find the money elsewhere, reduce your offer, or pull out of the purchase.

If you pull out of the purchase, there's nothing lost financially as nothing's been signed, right? Apart from a hit on my credit record.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Are you planning on buying with a particularly small % deposit? Do you have any reasons to think the mortgage application might fail?
    You could always protect yourself by offering a few grand less than what you have been approved for in principle.
  • dhokes
    dhokes Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Are you planning on buying with a particularly small % deposit? Do you have any reasons to think the mortgage application might fail?
    You could always protect yourself by offering a few grand less than what you have been approved for in principle.

With my current calculations, I'm looking at a mortgage between 80-85% LTV and no, not really to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure