Independence?

Options

Comments

• bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    To answer the only part of your comment that I can really understand.

Countries in the Eurozone, like Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, are sovereign states with their own governments and have their own seat at the United Nations. They are not controlled by other countries.

Many of us think Scotland should be free of English domination and join them.
    None of them have a permanent seat on the UN security council. None of them are sovereign states as they belong to the EU and Euro.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    bigheadxx wrote: »
    None of them have a permanent seat on the UN security council. None of them are sovereign states as they belong to the EU and Euro.

I think you must have known from my post that I was referring to membership of the United Nations and not it's Security Council which has only 15 members.

They are all sovereign states by definition. I would refer you to the Oxford dictionary "Sovereignty, the authority of a state to govern itself."
    By your comment you would be suggesting that the UK is not a sovereign state, are you?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zee wrote: »
    How can snp fight for independence...and want to join eurozone???
    I for one prefer a stable uk parliment [ ok with faults ] against the eurozone run by political princes who do not seem to answer to anyone outside their 'cliques ' no sign off on accounts ,if you vote no ,rerun vote untill yes vote ect, after ww2 ,[ ok history] NOT one in eurozone paid a penny to almost bankrupt uk [ norway did ] and us spent a fortune to repair europe free of charge [ marshall plan ] with nothing to uk, even the convoys of aid from usa were paid in advance by uk [ our gold was sent to canada and each sum was transfered to usa BEFORE convoy left usa shore] all sunk shipping had been paid in advance.
    i'm scottish for life but belong to the uk for life ,only my family comes first.

Did you follow the twitter advice for geting information about UK and the EU?
    It reads as though you're suffering some after-effects. :eek:
    None of them have a permanent seat on the UN security council.
    Maybe the rUK won't, but rest assured, Scotland will try to help ensure it does.
    None of them are sovereign states as they belong to the EU and Euro.

People and states can invest sovereignty to larger institututions. And remove it as well.

I think you're mixing up surrendering with lending.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • jj_5
    jj_5 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I for one prefer a stable uk parliment [ ok with faults ] against the eurozone run by political princes who do not seem to answer to anyone outside their 'cliques ' no sign off on accounts ,if you vote no ,rerun vote untill yes vote ect, after ww2 ,[ ok history] NOT one in eurozone paid a penny to almost bankrupt uk [ norway did ] and us spent a fortune to repair europe free of charge [ marshall plan ] with nothing to uk, even the convoys of aid from usa were paid in advance by uk [ our gold was sent to canada and each sum was transfered to usa BEFORE convoy left usa shore] all sunk shipping had been paid in advance.
    i'm scottish for life but belong to the uk for life ,only my family comes first.

Hi Zee, there are lots of powers we would gain from independence which are not affected by EU membership here are some:

We get to decide which wars we take part in and which ones we don't.

We don't need to spend millions on fighter jets, army tanks and guns every few years because the UK fancies a "square go" in Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia, Bosnia, Ireland (insert latest war here).

We can decide whether to keep nuclear weapons on our land or remove them, again, saving millions of pounds.

We can decide whether to invest in the enormous renewable energy potential we have in Scotland, worth millions of pounds for centuries into the future and (crucially) how to invest the proceeds.

Westminster have wasted 30 years worth of oil money which could have been used to keep us all debt free

We get to decide on changes to our benefits system, rather than putting up with the bedroom tax (a tory policy designed for the south-east but imposed on the rest of the UK)

And it may also help you to know that we have paid £64 billion more into the UK than we have received back over the last 30 years.

The arguments for staying in the UK are so weak and illogical and I'm sure as people look at the arguments on both sides they will realise that the most exciting future for Scotland is one where we can govern ourselves.
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    The people will decide & this time will take the correct option unlike the Act of Union when they were influenced by debt & scaremongering (sounds familiar !!!! ).

Regards,

Nosht.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    jj_5 wrote: »
    We can decide whether to keep nuclear weapons on our land or remove them, again, saving millions of pounds.

And cost hundreds of jobs and decimate the Rosyth area.
    We can decide whether to invest in the enormous renewable energy potential we have in Scotland, worth millions of pounds for centuries into the future and (crucially) how to invest the proceeds.

And how much will that put on the average electricity bill? If energy companies want to invest in the future then they should use the investment markets rather than expect consumers to foot the bill. Also there will be no proceeds to spend, renewables are subsided quite heavily, we are lining the pockets of SSE and the like.
    Westminster have wasted 30 years worth of oil money which could have been used to keep us all debt free

Money which has reduced taxes, built schools and hospitals and paid for plenty, if you think we'd be debt free after independence you are deluded.
    We get to decide on changes to our benefits system, rather than putting up with the bedroom tax (a tory policy designed for the south-east but imposed on the rest of the UK)

The Scottish parliament has the powers and the money to reverse the impact of the bedroom tax, it failed to do anything about it apart from Sturgeon bumping her gums.
    And it may also help you to know that we have paid £64 billion more into the UK than we have received back over the last 30 years.

You do of course have a reliable link to those figures?
  • Big_Graeme
    Options

The question you should have asked is how they can argue for independence yet want to enter into a currency union that will mean at best a dilution of any tax changes they want to make and at worst mean they are scrapped completely. The lack of a plan b for currency if rUK just don't want to support and guarantee a now foreign counties economic system is quite frankly madness.

But hey that's all scaremongering, in SNP speak that means we don't have an answer to that, pushing the point means you are bullying :-) No wonder Cameron doesn't want to debate.
  • Big_Graeme
    Options
    Oooh look, another of the planks of independence up for negotiation...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27024682
  • Holly_dolly
    Options
    I know which way I'm voting I'm sick of the Westminster ministers telling us what to do, we need to see actions from the no camp to fully decide our choice... Don't see much coming from them except scare tactics.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I know which way I'm voting I'm sick of the Westminster ministers telling us what to do, we need to see actions from the no camp to fully decide our choice... Don't see much coming from them except scare tactics.

I think that tactic will backfire.

If you have people continually telling you that you can't do something, you'll never succeed, you can't do anything without us etc. there comes a point when you go ahead and do it just to show them you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure