MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should super-rich Aristotle still buy bargain bin food?

Options

Comments

• Zygorf_2
    Zygorf_2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I think he should buy it as long as he is going to use it. The shop reduce stock generally because it is going out of date. If he doesn't buy it and use it then maybe no one else will meaning that it just goes to waste.
    没 有 钱
  • mikesussex
    Options
    No, he should get a life and not bother with small money-saving offers. There is so much to do out there if you have money, so why not enjoy it. He could also do some good for others along the way when the opportunity arises.
  • bob4jane
    bob4jane Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Pounds and pennies saved can go towards his very generous charity donations! Don't pump money into the corporate supermarkets!
    If our matey buys discount milk for a year, then gives the funds he saved to oxfam, they'll give the people a cow, and they can feed themselves and their families on milk and other dairy products.
    "Money is the root of all evil" -Poor person.
    "Money makes the world go round" - Rich Person.
    "Lack of money is the root of all evil" - (c) Me.
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    ~*Plushroom*~ Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Aristotle O'Plenty has always been a MoneySaver. Yet recently he's come into his family inheritance worth billions of pounds. When off to his local supermarket, he's one of many grabbing at the bargain bin yellow discount ticket section as usual; but realises he can afford to pay the full price, whilst for many of those there this is a lifeline, and there's only limited product. Should he back off and leave it to others, or should he stick to his MoneySaving principles? Should Aristotle back off the bargain bin?

Honestly? If I were in his fortunate situation I'd probably still buy the occassional reduced item, but it wouldn't be nearly as much as I do now with very little money.

But then that's me, I've had to rely on reduced food at times just to be able to eat so if I came into that sort of money I'd use that less in case someone in my situation needed it. I'd feel bad if I didn't.

Plus to be fair if I had the money I'd prefer to be able to buy things with a longer shelf life. Saying that I'd also be donating much more to charities and such if I was that lucky.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?:D
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Intelligent billionaires would seek advice from their cook.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • jonthedog
    jonthedog Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the guy is a multi billionaire then he must be making roughly £1/4million per day in interest alone...his wealth is increasing by at least £3 for every second there is in the day (assuming he pays as little tax as other multi-billionaires). He does not have to worry about saving money on shopping and it is not worth his time to do so. The only reason he would have to do this is for the cheap thrill (very, in his case) of getting a bargain. Whilst I can empathise with this, for Aristotle it is unequivocally selfish behaviour to deny others in greater need. I find it amazing how many correspondents think that this isn't a personal moral issue just because 'the bargains are there for everyone'.
    The argument that one earlier respondent put that buying the item at full price effectively took it out of the bargain bin as well is a flawed one. Supermarkets will always over order on some products; if there is greater demand they will simply order more next time, so amount of product in the bargain bin will always average out. Obviously if you are buying it at full price the day before it is reduced there will be less of that item to reduce, but if I'm going to buy an item at full price, I would always look for the freshest example, not the one that's about to hit the sell-by.
  • josephm4
    josephm4 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After looking at the ? I immediately thought NO and read through the responses. I was surprised to see that the majority felt that it was ok. Yes I agree in the fact that reduced products are there for the taking, however if indeed Aristotle is a billionaire and a member of MSE then he wouldn't need the reduced items. (Only a fool could wipe out billions!) In addition, yes this food is eligible for human consumption however quality would be a higher priority for myself and as a MSE I would certainly find the quality elsewhere at a reasonable price. Sorry for the length
  • matty_c608
    matty_c608 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    Had it said 10's of thousands in inheritance, it might be a more difficult thing to choose.

Billions? Remember how much that is!!!!! Millions and millions!!

If someone would benefit (a poor man having extra cash to spare lets say) then i'd leave it and buy the full priced goods! Else i'd take the reduced goods, as it'd be binned end of day anyway!
  • davtom
    davtom Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Some people on here that seem to be of the opinion that somebody who is rich should automatically pay more for their products than somebody who is poor. I probably fall into a middle category - a decent amount in savings but not hugely rich. I do use supermarkets and I do buy from the bargain basement bins when I see something I want, however there is no way I would likely be any different if I was a millionaire. Being careful with the pennies is partly why I have some savings. There's no reason to start being foolish with money just because you suddenly have a lot of it!

I imagine I would contribute to charities more if I was a millionaire, though.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think providing he is buying items he needs and will use - yes, buy the bargains.

I think it is immoral to waste money just because you can.

He could also give more to charity - that isn't wasting money. Buying stuff at expensive prices when you can get it cheaper is.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure