MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should super-rich Aristotle still buy bargain bin food?

Options
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should super-rich Aristotle still buy bargain bin food?

Aristotle O'Plenty has always been a MoneySaver. Yet recently he's come into his family inheritance worth billions of pounds. When off to his local supermarket, he's one of many grabbing at the bargain bin yellow discount ticket section as usual; but realises he can afford to pay the full price, whilst for many of those there this is a lifeline, and there's only limited product. Should he back off and leave it to others, or should he stick to his MoneySaving principles? Should Aristotle back off the bargain bin?
Should super-rich Aristotle still buy bargain bin food? Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Should Gulliver allow bribes to Lilliput?
What should Homer & Marge do about the loss of Sky?,

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    No why should he? If thats the price thats the price.
  • DavidHM
    DavidHM Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    No conflict for me here.

If he buys some full price food then that's some food that made it off the shelf before hitting the bargain bin, reducing the supply of bargain food in just the same way as if he'd bought it cheaply.
    Debt at highest: September 2003 - £26,350 :eek:
    Debt now: £14,100 :rolleyes:
    Debt free day: October 2008 :beer:
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    DavidHM wrote: »
    No conflict for me here.

If he buys some full price food then that's some food that made it off the shelf before hitting the bargain bin, reducing the supply of bargain food in just the same way as if he'd bought it cheaply.

This is a brilliant observation :T and I agree completely :D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    You can't take it with you. He should buy the food he wants to eat regardless of the price.
  • miffys_mummy
    Options
    Mics_chick wrote: »
    This is a brilliant observation :T and I agree completely :D
    yes I agree too but would not feel able to take all the goodies out of the bargain section if someone else was after them at the same time unless I was really in need and was going to use that food F.x
  • emmajon
    emmajon Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, I think that if you can seriously afford not to worry about your shopping bill money for the rest of your life then for goodness sake buy good quality stuff at normal prices. I only really buy reduced food if I'm struggling financially because if I'm managing then I've already taken into account how much I need to spend and would always base that on paying full price as you don't know till you get there what has been reduced. I just know there have been occasions when that reduced section has been my only affordable food options, whatever was in there I had to choose from because that was the only way we could eat. I just consider food such a nice pleasure, if I could afford the good stuff then I would get it.
    Started comping June 2007
    WON SO FAR
    Arthur & The Invisibles Limited Edition Book
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Go for the bargains!!! Im sure there are loads of rich people that do!!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Buy what he wants - the whole point of stickered items isn't aimed at consumers with low incomes per se, it's a way of getting rid of food before the final rubbish bin!

Mind you, whether you'd *want* to target stickered reduced goods when you are a billionaire is another matter! :confused:

I remember my Mum saying that wealthy people often became wealthy *because* they watched their pennies ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • reecebot
    reecebot Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    If you quit the bargain bin because supplies aren't endless then what next? Every other offer that says <<while stocks last>>?

"A fool and his money are soon parted" - I bet this goes for billionaires too.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Why on earth should he not buy bargain food ? Rich people stay rich by not wasting money and actually his financial status is not anybody else's business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure