MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: What should Homer & Marge do about the loss of Sky?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

What should Homer & Marge do about the loss of Sky?

Homer & Marge recently completed an extension to the back of their house to accommodate Marge’s homeless sisters, Selma and Patty. Unfortunately as the extension was built, their neighbours Apu, Barney, Ned and Mo lost the signals for their Satellite TV as it blocked it.

Enter the Money Moral Maze: What should Homer & Marge do about the loss of Sky?

Previous MMDs: Should Darth take money from his kids' accounts?, Grant's been overpaid, should he keep it?
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• ~*Plushroom*~
    ~*Plushroom*~ Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Firstly thank you for the reminder that as a VM customer I no longer get to watch The Simpsons.

If I were them I'd discuss with the neighbours how to sort it out and offer to help pay some of the costs, bearing in mind it was my extention that's caused the trouble.

No details are given on how the neighbours have reacted, but in this situation I'd hope that I could solve it amicably with them as you do have to live next to each other.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?:D
  • Elise_2
    Elise_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I'd suggest they contacted Sky? They may be able to resite the dish or simply adjust it so that they got their TV signal back.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Offer to pay to have the dish moved or if that wont work have the dish on my house
  • JDAdams
    JDAdams Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Assuming I had planning permission for the extension, it's not my problem -I'd be happy to work with them on a solution but certainly wouldn't pay for anything!
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Depends on whether the relationship with the neighbours is friendly or not and how they have reacted about it.

The suggestion to contact Sky in the first place is a good one because it might not cost anybody anything or they might agree to treat the whole thing as 1 call-out so saving alot of money...

I would offer to pay towards it if relations were good and I could afford it - peeing off alot of neighbours is not a good idea so it would be worth paying towards it to keep the peace...
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • kmhtkmhtkmht
    kmhtkmhtkmht Posts: 416 Forumite
    Legally speaking, unless their was in existence a negative real burden not to build on the land, the neighbours have no remedy. Homer and Marge have no responsibility or liability for the obstruction of the Sky Signal. A servitude in this situation is impossible, as the interference of a Sky Signal is not praedial enough in any circumstance and not a recognised servitude by any stretch of the imagination - although one must see check Homer and Marge did not contract into an agreement to not interefere with the line of sight, as this would be the only method that guarantees this not happening.

Repeated references to calling Sky would prove fruitless as this matter is outwith their control. Their responsibility in any event would be to provide the services of an engineer to re-adjust the antenna if feasible (i.e. moving it to a higher plane).

I would also look to see if the properties in question are subject to a Common Management Scheme, to see whether any angle could be pursued here to see whether the building contravened any regulations.

For completeness, another issue is whether the neighbours are personally barred from complaining, and seeking damages or rectification, as they may have expressly aquiesced to the building or been told of the effects of the building and acted in a manner offering no objection; essentially, they would've seen the building happen and the question would be whether or not they said or did anything about this.

Finally, I would suggest that Homer and Marge tell their neighbours to get Virgin!
  • Legally speaking, unless their was in existence a negative real burden not to build on the land, the neighbours have no remedy. Homer and Marge have no responsibility or liability for the obstruction of the Sky Signal. A servitude in this situation is impossible, as the interference of a Sky Signal is not praedial enough in any circumstance and not a recognised servitude by any stretch of the imagination - although one must see check Homer and Marge did not contract into an agreement to not interefere with the line of sight, as this would be the only method that guarantees this not happening.

Correct, R v Hunter amongst others. The subject of a large part of one of my exams last week!
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Even if legally it wasn't my problem, morally I think it would be. I know how I would feel if the situation was reversed,

First we'd see if moving the dish would solve the problem, and I would pay to have that done. I don't see why my neighbours should be out of pocket.

I think the suggestion by a previous poster of having their dish on my house would also be a possible route if all else failed.
  • Felstea
    Felstea Posts: 3 Newbie
    My mum had just the same (ish) thing, next door had a massive climbing tree thing which blocked her signal. She pointed this out to them and they cut it back which helped for a bit but was soon just as bad. She went round again to tell them and they offered to pay for her to get it moved. In the end, as they were so reasonable, she went 50 / 50 with them and has had no problems since. Homer should defo make an offer, otherwise he's just another example of the selfish attitude of modern society.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Legal schmeegal, I would not want to upset my neighbours and spoil their leisure time. That is mean! I am assuming the extension is spoiling satellite signals for more than one household (unles Barney, Ned, Apu and Mo are co-habiting). So it isn't just a case of having one satellite dish moved but several. In the interest of good neighbourly relations, I would offer to help fund any expenses incurred in moving all those dishes - the amount being dependent on my financial status.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure