Places to stay in Los Angeles

Options
Hi....travelling to LA end of Feb 2017....seems most decent hotels are really expensive so looking for any helpful suggestions of where to stay in LA. We will be hiring a car and also hope to do a day trip if we can. Again any suggestions of where we could easily get to and get back in a day would be appreciated.

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Depends what you want to see LA is massive and sprawling.
    Hollywood can be done in a day but it's a bit seedy .
    We usually stay out near Disneyland where there's lots of competition with the masses of hotels lining the road to Mickeys place but it's a bit far for Hollywood.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • PanickyJ
    PanickyJ Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Would that be Anaheim you stay at? We are going to get tickets for Disneyland and then the other day we would try and take a trip out of the City somewhere to see some of the coast. Prob a bus tour around LA would suit us.
  • Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about Santa Monica? So much nicer than staying in LA.
    Thank you all who post.
  • PanickyJ
    Options
    Is that more expensive again?
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    womderful place to stay:beer:
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Super 8 Culver City, close to airport (few miles) close to Venice and Santa Monica, very clean, friendly, nice big rooms, fridge and microwave, free parking and a pool.

Just stayed there for 3 nights, one of the best motels on the whole 2 weeks trip, couldn't fault it all for a base to explore from.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 2 October 2016 at 7:42AM
    Options
    In your situation I'd stay in Anaheim, have your day at Disney and do a Greyline tour picking up from your Anaheim hotel for a tour that does the Hollywood high spots and drops you back. I really would want to avoid driving myself in LA I thought it was horrendous.

Santa Monica is lovely but lovely equals expensive hotels, unless you want to consider Airbnb it's a bit of a budget buster. We usually book our Anaheim hotels through Priceline or Hotwire as anything in that area is suitable three star and above . (With Hotwire although you don't get the hotel name til you have paid it's usually pretty easy to work out which one it is going to be using various helpful websites.) we got the Crowne Plaza in Anaheim with Priceline two years running was quite funny cos the valet remembered us despite not having a car the second trip and thought we were loyal regulars (remembered me because whilst sitting outside the hotel there was a hefty earthquake and all the tourists panicked and I strolled over and said "as you guys don't look worried I'm guessing we don't need to ."...he laughed and invited us into their office to see the readings as they were broadcast on local TV. It was startling to see how strong the aftershock was. ) we still went to Disney btw , when we got there all the rides were closed whilst they safety checked them all, within an hour everything was back to normal and we also got free passes for another day to make up for the disappointment which we used the following summer.

A poster mentioned Super 8 . A lot of Brits turn their noses up at motels , in many cases they are ideal , clean, easy to access the freeway , include breakfast , for the time you spend in your hotel on this kind of holiday they are ideal and better than an expensive hotel with lots of facilities you never use because you are out and about anyway.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Somewhere else?

;-)

LA is a boil on the otherwise lovely derriere that is California.
  • ABARKIE
    ABARKIE Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I loved staying at Orchid Suites just behind Hollywood & highland metro station when I went LA

Didnt have a car though
  • PanickyJ
    Options
    Nearly all places in LA too expensive and then OH happened on the website for The Tangerine in Burbank....free parking and got good reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure