PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice please

Options
Hello I wonder if anyone can give me some ideas about what I can do to improve my situation.

I am 54, I live in rented accommodation, my kids are gone and reasonably independent, I now earn a reasonable amount, I have managed to save £15,000 so far. I have no other assets, however I could afford to save £500 a month from April (having just cleared a small car loan).

I really want to buy my own home, no way I can do that in London, where I live and work, and where my children and grandchild live.

My main motivation for buying a home is to help me provide for being retired, I’m not in a hurry to retire and plan to work for a long time, at least until 67. I really want to avoid being poor - I pay in to a pension scheme with the local authority who employs me, I imagine this would be sucked up in rent when I do retire.

What could I do that would improve my options as I move into my sixties? I might not even be able to secure a morgage, what then!

Many thanks in anticipation

Olliie’snana
Debt free me!

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Olliesnana wrote: »
    Hello I wonder if anyone can give me some ideas about what I can do to improve my situation.

I am 54, I live in rented accommodation, my kids are gone and reasonably independent, I now earn a reasonable amount, I have managed to save £15,000 so far. I have no other assets, however I could afford to save £500 a month from April (having just cleared a small car loan).

I really want to buy my own home, no way I can do that in London, where I live and work, and where my children and grandchild live.

My main motivation for buying a home is to help me provide for being retired, I’m not in a hurry to retire and plan to work for a long time, at least until 67. I really want to avoid being poor - I pay in to a pension scheme with the local authority who employs me, I imagine this would be sucked up in rent when I do retire.

What could I do that would improve my options as I move into my sixties? I might not even be able to secure a morgage, what then!

Many thanks in anticipation

Olliie’snana

How much do you earn?
    What is your current renting situation? Fixed term? How long? Likely to be long term?

Just some pointers:

1. You would have to move out of London. Feasible?

2. Mortgages for over 60s are available but the Loan to Value is high so you would need a much bigger deposit. Could you take a lodger to boost your savings?
    https://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/mortgages-for-over-60s.htm

The term for a mortgage could be a problem. The lender would likely need knowledge of how much your pension income would be and whether this would be sufficient to pay off a mortgage and live!

3. Could your offspring build a granny annex (similar) to their houses? Would you/they want this?

4. If your salary is fairly low have you considered applying to go on the Housing Register? If this is an option then this would give security. May take years to be given a house so good to look into this now.

5. Have you looked at over 60s housing?

Just a few ideas :)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are going to have to do what I did. Move areas. You can't afford to buy in London so find somewhere where you can afford to buy and move jobs. Find a local authority to employ you in a different part of the country. The salary may well be slightly lower than you get now but housing costs will be a lot lower.

2 people earning the minimum wage can buy a house in some parts of the country. I assume that you have a job that pays more than the minimum wage anywhere?

Just for your information my father worked as a valuer in the North West and wouldn't entertain taking a promotion in London because of the reduction in lifestyle. In the North West he had a 4 bed detached house on 1/4 of an acre. In London he might have got a 3 bed semi in a poor area even with the extra money from the promotion. This was in the 1970s.
  • Olliesnana
    Options
    Thanks for your reply pmlindyloo,
    I earn £50,000 a year, I recently got an increase, which made me think a morgage may be possible
    I live in a secure tenancy with a housing association, my children both rent, so neither are in a position to help. I hoped that if I bought a place I could avoid rent in the future and then when I die, assuming I don’t need to go into a care home, I will leave them with something to use in their own lives somehow. Maybe a deposit.

It is feasible to move away although a rench leaving the kids and my grandchild, it would also mean a change in circumstances, I would need to look for alternative work.

Other than a morgage, not sure how to create a viable financial future, I could look at taking a lodger to boost my savings though.

:)
    Debt free me!
  • Olliesnana
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    You are going to have to do what I did. Move areas. You can't afford to buy in London so find somewhere where you can afford to buy and move jobs. Find a local authority to employ you in a different part of the country. The salary may well be slightly lower than you get now but housing costs will be a lot lower.

2 people earning the minimum wage can buy a house in some parts of the country. I assume that you have a job that pays more than the minimum wage anywhere?

Just for your information my father worked as a valuer in the North West and wouldn't entertain taking a promotion in London because of the reduction in lifestyle. In the North West he had a 4 bed detached house on 1/4 of an acre. In London he might have got a 3 bed semi in a poor area even with the extra money from the promotion. This was in the 1970s.

Hello cakeguts,

Thanks for your reply, maybe looking elsewhere in the country is my only option although it would be hard leaving the kids and friends etc.

I’ll explore it

Thanks for the ideas :)
    Debt free me!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Something does not add up here.

You earn £50K (something most of us would regard as a fortune) yet you have only amassed savings of £15K, can only afford to save £500 per month, and have recently borrowed money for a car.

What the hell do you spend it all on?

Address that first. You should be able to save a whole lot more than that. Just how much is your rent?
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

You earn £50K (something most of us would regard as a fortune) yet you have only amassed savings of £15K, can only afford to save £500 per month, and have recently borrowed money for a car.

Address that first. You should be able to save a whole lot more than that. Just how much is your rent?

Kids!

message too short!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have a secure tenancy so do you really want to buy a house if it means moving away from friends and family and finding a new job?

If you are concerned about security in old age, had you considered making additional contributions to a pension?

If you want to help your children and grandchild, how about contributing to a JISA for the child and making regular gifts from income to the children?

For example, £250 a month to a pension and say (if you have two children), £100 a month to each child and £50 to the grandchild?
  • Olliesnana
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

Thanks ProDave,

Obviously I don’t bring home 50,000, i only recently got a new job, 12 months ago - prior to that I was stuck in the 30,000 to 39K pay band for YEARS, educated myself in my thirties in order to earn better money, so paid student loans off into my forties and I’ve also bought up my kids on my own, which wasnt cheap, but you’re right I should be able to save more now

One of my kids has also been struggling financially and Ive been helping and London is not cheap!
    :)

Olliesnana
    Debt free me!
  • Olliesnana
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    You have a secure tenancy so do you really want to buy a house if it means moving away from friends and family and finding a new job?

If you are concerned about security in old age, had you considered making additional contributions to a pension?

If you want to help your children and grandchild, how about contributing to a JISA for the child and making regular gifts from income to the children?

,For example, £250 a month to a pension and say (if you have two children), £100 a month to each child and £50 to the grandchild?

Xylophone, thanks Thees are good ideas,
    I do make gifts to the kids, but I could do this in a more structured way, and I will certainly look at JISA’s for the little one :)
    Debt free me!
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 12:46AM
    Options
    If you earn £50k and are in the local government pension scheme then you will be well provided for in retirement.

50k may sound like a fortune to some people but isn't enough to buy in or around London at your age, even if you were younger you would struggle to get a big enough mortgage. And why do you want to? You have a secure tenancy with no worries about major repair bills. Your financial future is assured.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure