Are refillable ink cartridges any good

Options
I'm thinking of buying refillable ink cartridges for my epson printer but are they any good.

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    Options
    don't know if they have improved but when i went through my refillable ink stage it gave me so much grief as some cartridges would work and others needed returning and replacing. i soon gave up and started buying genuine cartridges from reputable sellers again. i am now in my hp instant ink stage in life and it was the best ink decision that i ever made.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    don't know if they have improved but when i went through my refillable ink stage it gave me so much grief as some cartridges would work and others needed returning and replacing. i soon gave up and started buying genuine cartridges from reputable sellers again. i am now in my hp instant ink stage in life and it was the best ink decision that i ever made.
    I was going to buy genuine Epson cartridges but they was more expensive than a new printer.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    burtons wrote: »
    I was going to buy genuine Epson cartridges but they was more expensive than a new printer.

That's because the cartridges in them will have only a tiny amount of ink in. Replacement ones have larger capacities.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• dipsomaniac
    Options
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • tweeter
    tweeter Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to refill my old HP printer cartridges. But now they have made their ink cartridge chips too difficult for me to do it this way anymore, so I'm having to buy new HP302 cartridges. Has anybody found a way round this yet.Thanks for any replies.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Refilling only works to a certain extent because of the sponge inside the cartridges - they can only hold so much ink. At that point the cartridge would need replacing - they can't be refilled indefinitely.

Some printers you can get the continuous ink systems for them and just top the containers up as needs be, but for most users it's just as practical to get the cheaper compatible cartridges.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    I had clear see through cartridges with my Epson RX620. Pack of 6 carts and 6 bottles of inks which tapered to a point.

The carts autoreset so the printer thought they were always fairly full. Being clear you could easily see the levels.

Refilling was a case of remove a rubber bung, insert pointed nozzle on the bottle into the hole and let it drip in or very gently squeeze the bottle to speed it up.

No messing with syringes and having to wash parts.

I think it was one of the last epsons made properly. Newer models are very light and inferior.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had clear see through cartridges with my Epson RX620. Pack of 6 carts and 6 bottles of inks which tapered to a point.

The carts autoreset so the printer thought they were always fairly full. Being clear you could easily see the levels.

Refilling was a case of remove a rubber bung, insert pointed nozzle on the bottle into the hole and let it drip in or very gently squeeze the bottle to speed it up.

No messing with syringes and having to wash parts.

I think it was one of the last epsons made properly. Newer models are very light and inferior.
    It sounds like the cartridges I'm looking to buy. Can you remember where you got them from.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Birmingham Motorcycle Museum Computer Fair.

Bought the printer which had the original carts and replaced with these and only ever bought 1 set if the larger bottles of refills.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• letsbehonest
    Options
    I used refillable carts on my Epson XP Expression they worked quite well but Epson issue sneaky firmware updates with their printer software updates and this stops the refillables working, they deny this but I did some research and other users had the same problem. Go laser.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport