Clio Mk3 Headlight Bulb Change

Options
2»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a work colleague who had a bulb out on a Renault. He went to the dealers. They said it's a big job. Bumper off etc £120. He asked my advice. I asked if he had a Haynes manual. He hadn't. I said if he was keeping the car for a while £15 on a Haynes manual could be a good investment. He bought one and discovered the bulb was a dead easy job. He did it himself in a couple of minutes.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    That just seems a completely upside down way of looking at the problem. Forcing everyone to keep a spare and making them straightforward to replace keeps everyone safe and ensures you don't need to drive any distance without a bulb out.
    Mmm. Because all those people who are driving around with bulbs out are doing so because it's too difficult to change them.

They aren't. They're driving around because they can't be arsed to CHECK them and see that they've got a bulb out. If you point it out to them, they'll often say something like "It's OK, the MOT's next month" - or even have a go at you for having the temerity to question them...

Half of the cars you see with lights out could be sorted in second flat with no more than the screwdriver that's in the car's toolkit. Most of the rest could be sorted with a fiver thrown at Halfords while they shop elsewhere on the retail park.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Half of the cars you see with lights out could be sorted in second flat with no more than the screwdriver that's in the car's toolkit. ..............
    Please tell me where this toolkit is in my car :eek:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Please tell me where this toolkit is in my car :eek:
    Have you looked with the jack and wheelbrace? Or, if your car doesn't have a jack and wheelbrace, then with the can of tyregoop and compressor? There will almost certainly be a screwdriver there.

In the unlikely event there isn't, then I presume you do possess such a thing elsewise?
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Just went out and sorted the wife's car - it was still a PITA even with the washer bottle tube out but it's done now. Just glad I've got LED lights on my car as it doesnt look much better.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you looked with the jack and wheelbrace? Or, if your car doesn't have a jack and wheelbrace, then with the can of tyregoop and compressor? There will almost certainly be a screwdriver there.

In the unlikely event there isn't, then I presume you do possess such a thing elsewise?
    Of course I have a screwdriver but in my 45 years of driving and several brand new cars I have never had one that came with a tool kit ;)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    And this, folks, is why you see so many cars going around with a headlight out. For many people, it is no longer a DIY prospect.

It ought to be mandatory that any car for sale must be able to have any of its lightbulbs changed in five minutes without tools.
    Perhaps a simpler solution is just to require people to not drive around with a bulb out? It won't take a garage long, or cost much, to change the bulb...
    Well, it's already a requirement to have functioning lights, but that doesn't seem to be working.

As for getting a garage to do it, that's fine, except that you need to get to the garage first, which may mean waiting a few days if you work odd hours, and all the time you have a headlight out. Simpler if you could just change the bulb on the spot and be on your way.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure