Financial help with walk in shower

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask in but...

My mother is 79 and suffers from arthritis and postural hypotension, she blacks out at times from the PH, she has not been able to use her bath for over 12mths due to mobility issues and the PH, she washes at the sink.

She has finally agreed to have a walk in shower fitted.

She has a small amount of savings, and is in receipt of pension credit.

Does anyone know if there is any financial help she may be entitled to, with adaptions in her home.

progress.gif

Comments

• KJX
    KJX Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    There might be help available either from or via social services - she would need to be needs assessed and have her finances looked at.

In you shoes I would make contact with her local adult services and ask for a social care and occupational therapy assessment. Tell them it's to support her independence and wellbeing and will help her remain in her home - all things local authorities should be promoting.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't her GP refer her to the appropriate bodies such as Social Services etc? Age UK is a very useful source of information.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem with local authority social services is that financial cuts have meant that grants for items like this have dried up in many places. It's just much, much harder to get assistance now.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    The problem with local authority social services is that financial cuts have meant that grants for items like this have dried up in many places. It's just much, much harder to get assistance now.

Depends where you live. Some authorities are able to fund such work and if they can't help they can often recommend suitable charitable organisations.

If nobody asks then they'll say there's no demand.
  • KJX
    KJX Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Disabled Facilities Grants have a specific allocated budget within the settlement from central government - however it's not ring fenced so could be munched by the new extra requirements now specified by the Care Act. There 'should' be money available, but equally there 'should' be enough cash given to local authorities and the NHS to fund adult social care.

Without asking for a social care needs assessment (which should include an OT assessment) you'll never know what help you might get. They might just offer a perching stool for use in the bathroom, they could offer a wet room. It could even be access to a bathing service in a day centre.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a link for further information about Local Authority Disabled Facilities Grants:
    https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

You might also think about moving into a property which already has the facilities you need. Anchor, formerly Anchor Trust, a non profit making registered charity provides properties for rent and for sale but whether rented or bought are on the pricey side. But if your mother is getting Guarantee Credit a large portion of the rent would be paid through Housing Benefit. As far as I can see the only condition for an Anchor property is to be aged over 55. In addition to properties for independent living Anchor also provides care homes so there is the possibility of a transfer to more suitable care as the need arises. All of their independent living homes provide an emergency alarm system and are generally categorised as "sheltered housing".
    http://www.anchor.org.uk/
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Here's a link for further information about Local Authority Disabled Facilities Grants:
    https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

You might also think about moving into a property which already has the facilities you need. Anchor, formerly Anchor Trust, a non profit making registered charity provides properties for rent and for sale but whether rented or bought are on the pricey side. But if your mother is getting Guarantee Credit a large portion of the rent would be paid through Housing Benefit. As far as I can see the only condition for an Anchor property is to be aged over 55. In addition to properties for independent living Anchor also provides care homes so there is the possibility of a transfer to more suitable care as the need arises. All of their independent living homes provide an emergency alarm system and are generally categorised as "sheltered housing".
    http://www.anchor.org.uk/

I second this.

I used to be a manager in an Anchor Trust sheltered housing complex, I cannot rate them highly enough. Go and have a look round a couple.

Re the grants - yes they should be available, but You have to,jump through hoops and the waiting times can be as long as 4 years.

Finding suitable accommodation is a far the better option, both in the short term and the longer term. Don't forget there will be things like panic buttons, a morning call to check all is well plus the presence of other residents for help when needed and companionship.

There are usually plenty of activities on offer, maybe not so important right now but as your mother ages her mobility may be Impacted and she could become more or less house bound. This isless of an issue in a complex where there are communal rooms and leisure facilities.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    All showers are 'walk in', aren't they?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options

Not if it's over the bath.

You need to contact social services or Occupational Therapist to have her assessed and see if there is funding available.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options

No, they are not!

They can also be 'step in' i.e. there is a small step from the floor level in the bathroom to the floor level in the shower cubicle.

Some people can manage a step up, others cannot. It's also essential to have grab-rails/grab-handles inside the shower cubicle because slipping and falling while trying to take a shower - slippery hands from shower gel, slippery floor when wet - is something you really do NOT want to happen.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport