Finally found the strength to get debt free 💪

Options

Comments

• Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Virgin C/C is down to £300. All on plan to be cleared by the end of August and only have 2 debts left. £6500 to clear in less than 52 weeks. My plan is to get it done by June 2018 and then start saving for Lapland for Xmas.
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I love the idea of Lapland - what a nice goal to aim for! At this rate you'll be there in no time. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'm subscribing. Good luck on your journey. One of my goals is to take the children to Lapland too.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on being so focused. My suggestion would be you close the credit cards after repaying them except one. Then you will not be tempted to spend on them. In the meantime take them out of your purse and hide them at home somewhere.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Angela84
    Options
    Hello all!

Yes I definitely don't carry my credit cards round, they're in my documents file at home. I don't even know the pins but I naughtily found a way round that when I went shoe shopping with my sister and found the barclayccard phone app has a way of telling you the pin!

Have just joined the Payment a Day thread to keep me motivated and keep my debt feee journey at the front of my thoughts.

Off to Cardiff today for the children and Pokemon hunting. Only costs should be petrol and the bridge toll as I'm taking a picnic and visiting a free museum and park.

Am also thinking ahead towards Christmas as don't ant to it creep up on me and force me into more debt.
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • Angela84
    Options
    Cardiff was a fab (frugal) day out. Lots to see and do for free, I treated the children to an ice cream and we walked around and saw lots of interesting things, but it's so refreshing thinking with a more sensible head on nowadays as I know a year ago we'd have gone on fairground rides and had a fancy pub lunch and god knows what else and easily blown £100 in a day 'treating' ourselves.

Looking forward to a nsd tomorrow just doing some errands whilst my older 3 go to a free holiday club. And then visit the library tomorrow afternoon, another free fun thing they love to do!
  • Angela84
    Options
    A nsd today which was good. Lots of errands done. A few more important errands to do tomorrow and then getting ready for a hen weekend away. Have budgeted already and am going to make sensible decisions. And not take my cards with me, only cash.
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Just wanted to say say how well you seem to be doing. I'm so like you with the travelling bug and I have Disney holiday in mind as motivation to get out of the debt.
  • Angela84
    Options
    :hello::hello::hello:Hi!

Disneyland is on my dream list too when my lot are a little older!

Just paid off another £100 to virgin as pay day today. 2 more weeks and it's gone forever, and I'll only have 2 debts left. I remember not even being able to list all my debts a few years ago, they were so spread out between all different c/cs, loans, catalogues and overdrafts. All with high interests too.

But thankfully I just kept paying the minimums at least as it must have improved my credit enough to qualify for the interst free cards I've got now.

Cheap Aldi shop to do today and saying goodbye to our baby birds as I justbdint havevthe time to care for them enough. Must stop taking on pets only to realise I just feel guilty the whole time and have to give them back again :doh::(
  • Angela84
    Options
    Cheap food shop done, and also got some booze that I'm going to sneak in the hotel to make my weekend cheaper! Got a hen weekend in Nottingham that I've already paid for, but don't want to blow loads on drinks.
    Have also borrowed an outfit as didn't want to spend any money on new stuff.
    The more I go on with this debt free quest, the tighter I become!

And I didn't return the birds. That's the 3rd time I decided to say goodbye and not actually done it. I feel too guilty as the children love them. Can't exscaie the guilt either way!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback