IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Should I challenge Manchester city council with this parking ticket?

Options
I'm not quite sure if I am in the right or not but I was parked next to a construction site which blocked the double yellow sign on the street and I was issued a parking ticket, this is my first ticket and I am not sure if it's worth going through the trouble of challenging them or not, would highly appreciate anyone that can help me on this matter.

For reference, I was parked here:

i.imgur.com/y8YLWs1.jpg

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jess354 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure if I am in the right or not but I was parked next to a construction site which blocked the double yellow sign on the street and I was issued a parking ticket, this is my first ticket and I am not sure if it's worth going through the trouble of challenging them or not, would highly appreciate anyone that can help me on this matter.

i.imgur.com/y8YLWs1.jpg

Most Council PCNs are worth appealing - 2 stages, and then to adjudication.

How long did the CEO observe the car for, on the PCN?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jess354
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Most Council PCNs are worth appealing - 2 stages, and then to adjudication.

How long did the CEO observe the car for, on the PCN?

It was only for 1 minutes (from 10:56 to 10:57)

Is there a template I can follow for writing the appeal?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Ask on pepipoo, they are the experts, but if the PCN was for contravention 01 (not 02) then one minute observation is not enough and that would be an appeal point that should win.

You mustn't register there with a Hotmail email as Umkomaas says, doesn't work.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jess354 wrote: »

i.imgur.com/y8YLWs1.jpg
    curious about the ""double yellow sign,"" I thought the double yellows were a clear sign in themselves. Unless there are problems with the ticket itself its very much bang to right IMHO.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    curious about the ""double yellow sign,"" I thought the double yellows were a clear sign in themselves. Unless there are problems with the ticket itself its very much bang to right IMHO.

Not with only one minute's observation, because double yellows do not denote no stopping at all.

If it's an 01 code on the PCN (not 02) I'd say the Council are bang to rights and stuffed, for failure to adhere to the minimum 5 minutes observation to exclude the possibility of exempt activity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure