PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• butterfly2001
    butterfly2001 Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    2cxhxeq.jpg

Got a beach dress for next holiday. I apologise for the photo size! It has straps from the middle that tie around neck but it made me look very big so I tied them around the back instead, I think it looks okay and should do for a holiday. I tried hunting to find it and it's original cost but no luck just similar versions. I got it for £4.99 and it's by Melissa Odabash.:)
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!:j

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    http://www.odabash.com/shop/beachwear/beach-dresses#!/limit=8

12.lauri-1-2017.jpg

Pretty similar - priced at £300. :eek:

Although this one from JD Williams is in the sale at £16 from £36. :huh:

i01hn023503w.jpg
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    2cxhxeq.jpg

Got a beach dress for next holiday. I apologise for the photo size! It has straps from the middle that tie around neck but it made me look very big so I tied them around the back instead, I think it looks okay and should do for a holiday. I tried hunting to find it and it's original cost but no luck just similar versions. I got it for £4.99 and it's by Melissa Odabash.:)
    Lovely dress , never heard of that designer so had to google her sad life I lead , its exciting though when you get a great bargain!! I wish that I could just except a compliment when someone gives me one without having to say "charity shop only a pound".:rotfl:
  • butterfly2001
    butterfly2001 Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :) I know the feeling you almost feel guilty saying its from a charity shop! As long as the quality is good then why not though, it's taken me ages to find something I like but I always find the hunt worth it :)
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!:j

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Because I live quite rurally, I wouldn't have chosen to donate to BHF but they were the only charity who would collect from where I live :( I'm disabled so taking anything bigger than a small bag on the bus is totally out of the question- I had to get my OH to carry them downstairs. If we had taken them to the local charity shop they're all in a precinct and the closest parking is about a mile away so that wouldn't even be possible. OH is fit and strong but he would have had to dragged one bag at a time for a mile then come back four times! Just not practical at all. I had hoped that there would be another charity but there wasn't.

I too struggle to get my donations to the charity shops on my own. Fortunately I have a very kind friend who lives in an olde worlde market town about 40 miles away and he takes my stuff and drops it into any of the four chazza shops round the market square where you can park easily on non market days. I also like the fact that I am not likely to see my donated goods again in the shops I visit, (I have been known to unknowingly buy back my own items in the past!:p)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My OH, who is well known for his reluctance to dispose of anything, once bought back one of his own shirts from a local charity shop ! I had done some discreet decluttering of his wardrobe on his behalf, including one shirt I particularly disliked. He bought it on the basis that he would have a replacement for that one when it eventually wore out! Serves me right I suppose ! He never did twig that the original shirt had disappeared.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    My OH, who is well known for his reluctance to dispose of anything, once bought back one of his own shirts from a local charity shop ! I had done some discreet decluttering of his wardrobe on his behalf, including one shirt I particularly disliked. He bought it on the basis that he would have a replacement for that one when it eventually wore out! Serves me right I suppose ! He never did twig that the original shirt had disappeared.

:rotfl: I came home one day to say that I'd been to the local CS & discovered that someone had the same as me in books - bought several as I didn't know where my copies were. My neighbour was having a cuppa with my mum and couldn't stop laughing.

Penny dropped when I found out that they were my copies as my mum had taken into the CS a couple of days before!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

I never cease to be amazed at the good quality of Sainsbury's clothes.

I have several TU cardigans all from CS that I love, they're brilliant.

Bargain this week, £1 for a Next fleece dressing gown for DS 9-12months. Dark blue with 'rainbow stars' as DsS put it ;)
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    There's been slim pickings in my local Charity shop this year, I've bought nothing at all in the way of second hand goods. However last week, at my local SCOPE, I bought a brand new looking copy of Nigella Lawson's How to Eat for £1, and two rugby league autobiographies for £1 each. The autobiographies (once I got them home) are really foisty smelling, but they were only a £1 each, and I've found rugby league books to be quite expensive when buying brand new from Amazon etc.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    :rotfl: I came home one day to say that I'd been to the local CS & discovered that someone had the same as me in books - bought several as I didn't know where my copies were. My neighbour was having a cuppa with my mum and couldn't stop laughing.

Penny dropped when I found out that they were my copies as my mum had taken into the CS a couple of days before!

I realised tonight that the book I bought last week for £1.50 that I had already bought and read it before. Last time it only cost me 50p. I'm trying to think of it as a charitable donation. Have now recorded on my phone which books I have already got/ read.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family