PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sainsburys and Jamie Olivers Feed your Family for £5 Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I picked up the cards and when I read the back the £5 is for buying all the items.

So even though they are only using 3 hands for a peas they have included the whole price of a bag of peas and not pro-rated it.

So these meals do cost less than £5 to prepare. Just need to read the small print on the back of the cards.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Jamie Oliver's coming to Rotherham for 3 months shortly to teach us all how to cook!! Do you think I ought to print off the recipes on the other thread and take them to the shop he's using as a base? He said in the local newspaper interview that he hopes the locals will visit this shop.How many Old Stylers are there in Rotherham??
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • KittyKate
    KittyKate Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    As soon as I saw Jamie advocating feeding a family of 4 on a budget of £5 I thought...well I already do (my family is of 2 though, so I spend less).

It's good he is saying 'stick to a budget' and eat healthy but it makes you wonder how much a non-OS or non-budgetting family of 4 is spending on a meal!

Maybe it's just Sainsbury's prices? I could do the meal a lot cheaper at another supermarket.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're not the only one ;)Here and here.
  • Wanoah
    Wanoah Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I have to applaud the effort. Sure, there is a cynical side to the whole thing - it's aimed at promoting a business after all.

I'm firmly in the target audience for this. I work long hours, and shop for convenience a lot of the time. I often spend £10/day simply on food for myself. It's appalling: not just the waste of money, but the waste in general. And the effect on my waistline has been dramatic these last 2-3 years. The thing is, I'm not one of those guys that is incapable of boiling an egg. I'm fairly competent in the kitchen. But circumstances have led me to where I am today, and for a while now, I have been making changes to redress the balance. That's how I discovered this place.

The thing is, after a while, you start forgetting how to do things. You forget that there are other foods in the supermarket that aren't in the ready meal section. OK, exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that simply cannot do anything beyond open packets and microwave stuff. Either because they have never known anything else, or because they have lost the skills after years of rampant consumerism.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »

Tonight - MelissaB's saving a house deposit beany recipe.

Tomorrow - Timmo44's Nan's tuna casserole followed by Haribo's banoffee made into ice cream.

Sunday - Pauli's Girls's Tuscan bean stew.

I missed these, where can I find them?
  • rosh12
    rosh12 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I think sometimes people think cooking from scratch is really expensive and difficult, but as we know, it doesn't HAVE to be expensive (or difficult!). I think if someone picks up a card and decides to have a go, spending £5 on ingredients for spag bol, rather than buying 4 individual ready meals, surely that HAS to be a good thing...?

Though I do think it is definitely a very clever marketing campaign by Sainsburys rather than them desperately wanting to improve our eating habits!
  • BARGAINHUNTER!
    Options
    I think schools should be teaching the kids how to cook a family meal healthily and cheaply at school. You could even get primary school kids involved. People seem to live such busy lives nowadays that they don't have time to stand and cook (or they think they don't!) Lots a meals can be made cheaply and quickly especially when making use of the freezer!

It always amazes me the amount of my friends who do their weekly shopping without a list. This means that they open their fridge 'and have nothing to eat' so they have to pop to the shops for more. By teaching people to mealplan, write a list from the plan and cost it out people would find their shopping bills coming down and that they would eat a lot healthier!
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
  • chelsea.housewife
    Options
    Yes I agree, BARGAINHUNTER!

If I hadn't done Domestic Science at school I would have gone under financially, because I would never have been able to create delicious meals out of basic ingredients and feed my family on a tight budget of £5 a day.
  • armybike
    armybike Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    What Sainsbury's would be better doing (from a consumer's perspective) is promoting the various storecupboard essentials that can have a meal whipped up from 'nothing'. For example, dried herbs, tinned toms, bags of pasta, cous cous, tinned beans (i.e. cannellini, not baked!). Most of those sorts of things are cheap, last aaaages, and can generally be used in conjunction with whatever you've got lying around the house to whip up a good meal for very little outlay.

Dan, you've were you aware you've been quoted on the Guardian newspaper website?

:T

An article by Fiona Beckett includes the above post from this thread. You can see the article at the below link and is about three quarters of the way down the page -

Guardian Unlimited - Fast and loose for a fiver

Actually, this whole thread is mentioned and linked, so well done to all who have posted (which now includes me!?!)

Army.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport