IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket from Excel.

Hello everyone.

I got a parking ticket from Excel on Monday night from Iceland car park in Hornchurch Essex. I can't say the signs were inadequate. But I didn't notice them. I just assumed as the sainsburys car park right next door was free for customers that this one would be too. 9 minutes after leaving my car I returned Iceland bags in hand, to find a ticket warden putting a ticket on my car. He then lied about my car having been there for 20 minutes before he approached it. I got a £100 ticket, £50 if paid within 48 hours.

I want to follow the advice on an old thread I'd seen on here and just ignore their demands for my hard earned money, but after reading the FAQ's it seems that might not be a good idea.

Any advice specific to my issue would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back from you guys, and thanks in advance.

David.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 July 2015 at 7:44AM
    If you were a customer of Iceland then it's back to them, with receipts in hand and get hold of the manager (not a fob-off) customer services rep and demand as a customer on the day that he cancels the ticket.

Why are they allowing a PPC to harass their customers?

I take it from your first post you've read the NEWBIES sticky, but it's worth spending a bit more time on it, especially as Excel are an IPC member, so appealing is not likely to get you far - and explained in the sticky.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2015 at 8:21AM
    as this is england, do not read old threads, as the laws changed almost 3 years ago

excel are now an IPC member, so dont look at BPA or POPLA threads either , only 2015 threads

think of it this way, you wouldnt look at a 3 years old tv guide to see whats on tv tonight, would you ;)

get a complaint in to the landowner asap and insist on a cancellation, as the last post said, in future be more observant , but remember that signs need to be "in your face" to form a contract, such that you know you are not adhering to them when you dont

good luck
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    Just an afterthought @OP. Looking at your user name, you don't live in Scotland by any chance (I know the incident was in Essex), because a different tack might be needed.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Umkomaas wrote: »
    Just an afterthought @OP. Looking at your user name, you don't live in Scotland by any chance (I know the incident was in Essex), because a different tack might be needed.

No, the username is just a nickname, I live in Essex.
  • I've just spoken to someone at Iceland customer service. She seemed willing to help but as I don't actually have a ticket and am waiting for it to come through the post, she said I need to wait til I've got that and then call back. Which is a pain, as if I do end up having to pay it, the 48 hours half price (still extortionate) £50 deal ends tonight.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Eh? How do you have a ticket and NOT have a ticket at the same time? If you don't have a ticket yet then the 14 days discount period hasn't started yet. If the period HAS started then you do have a ticket. (What was it the parking warden printed out? Scotch mist?)

The discount bribe is just that ... you don't need to pay them anything.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've just spoken to someone at Iceland customer service. She seemed willing to help but as I don't actually have a ticket and am waiting for it to come through the post, she said I need to wait til I've got that and then call back. Which is a pain, as if I do end up having to pay it, the 48 hours half price (still extortionate) £50 deal ends tonight.

You were advised to go back to the shop and talk to the store manager, not contact customer services. Now you have been fobbed off exactly as predicted.

What happened to the ticket from the parking person? This is what you should be taking back to the shop as well as your till receipt/bank statement.

What's this rubbish about having to pay? If you follow the advice here it won't happen. So, whilst you wait for the NTK in the post, complain long and loud in store about the shoddy way that Iceland are treating their customers. Read and re-read the NEWBIES thread until you understand the bits that are relevant to your case.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2015 at 11:30PM
    who do you want to believe ?

them ? or us ?

if its us , please do as we ask

if its "them", then follow their lead and if it bites you on the backside you cannot blame us

I suggest you do what regulars here have told you to do

when they say speak to a manager, they mean a manager , not a part timer on minimum wage who cannot do anything as they usually clean the toilets or are stuck on the "naughty step"

as Bucks Fizz once sang , you gotta start "making your mind up"

if you want to "be like DOM , then dont get done"

good luck
  • Sounds promising, the article is on 'responsive' a website dedicated to parking fines / notices.
    Excel had to payback a fine held up in court; when it later transpired owners of the actual carpark had never given excel permission to take anyone to court
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    please get your fact correct , the customer was not FINED!

maybe the customer complained to the court (county court) that he had received a CCJ (not a fine) in his absence.

please forward a link to this "responsive" website and the case?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure