Planning to go self employed after voluntary redundancy - help!

Options
Hello everyone

I am really confused about what I can and cannot do around looking for new ways to work when I am made voluntarily redundant.

I haven't had a notice date given yet so there is still an element of doubt but I have a paper trail where the redundancy has been discussed with me.

I would like to be self employed when I leave and do contract work. I have already got an interview to act as a freelance professional for one company and I have spotted two other pieces of independent work i'd like to apply for. In my current post I work four days per work and already do some independent work on a self employed basis which my company are aware of.

I don't want to do anything that will stop me getting my redundancy pay and I know that you risk losing it if you accept another job prior to the end of the notice period but I can't find anything related to being self employed and beginning to line up some work whilst being made redundant.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Good luck everyone on your redundancy journeys.

Sky

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Bottom line is do not commit to too much work too soon.

As it will be part of the self employment or even if you set up ltd unless it is outside your current agreement you do not even need to tell them.

What can they do other than keep you on if the withdraw the redundancy.

Getting another job does not stop redundancy, some companies wait till you accept the new job then withdraw the redundancy.

you probably can use counter notice to avoid that, if they find out you are getting more self employment check the way counter notice works there are stick rules on timings.
  • BusPass_2
    BusPass_2 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    Sign on at Job Centre.

Stamp is covered.

Ask to be referred to New Enterprise Allowance Scheme.

Grant of £1,274 available payable at £65 per week for 13 weeks, £33 for 13 weeks.

All you have to do is attend Mentoring Meetings and produce a simple Business Plan.

Easy Peasy and money for old rope.

Without it you will start your own business under your own steam and get nowt.
  • skylight99
    Options
    Dear BusPass and Getmore4less

Thank you so much for your replies.

I dont know whats wrong with me - I usually reply straight away on forums. I did read your replies then went into a bury my head in the sand mode when it came to thinking about the redundancy :o

I now have a possible date and I am clearer than I was

I have some irons in the fire but nothing definite.

Skylight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport